Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

We have called several vets in the area and no one will we…

Customer Question
We have called several...

We have called several vets in the area and no one will we our leopard gecko. He has a swollen re lump at the base of his tail. Yesterday it was swollen but was not red. Today it is extremely red.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the leopard gecko's name and age?

10 yrs. Old and his name is***** have pictures but am unsure how to attach them

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Edward?

No he is eating and drinking but not going to the bathroom

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/30/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Can you post a picture of the lump and also include a State to locarte a Herp Vet.

Joan

I cannot see the Picture well. I just need to confirm the lump is coming out from the Vent area where they pass stool.

Joan

Thank you! It is a prolapsed Hemipenix. He will need to see the Vet to put it back into place and make sure it stays in. In the interim, you can take some sugar and moisten with cool water into a paste and apply to the area, This may shrink the tissues to get it to go back in, Try that for about 10 mins. Once that is done rinse the area with sterile saline and use some Personal Lubricant to keep te area moist. I would place him on paper towels in te enclosure to keep the area clean.

These are VA Herp Vets:

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/virginia.shtml

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/virginia.html

Please hit reply to discuss this information and your concerns. If I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

That is the Hemipenis it may be abscessed inside the Hemipenal sack. The sugar paste will help reduce inflammation. He will need to see one of the Herp Vets on the list. The Herp Vet will be able to address the situation. Most likely put him on an Antibiotic.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan

How is Edward doing? Did you have him into the Herp Vet?

Joan