Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Turtle lives in my pool for the past 8 years. Got into the…

Customer Question
Turtle lives in my...

Turtle lives in my pool for the past 8 years. Got into the skimmer and had his head sucked into the vacuum opening in the skimmer. Not sure how long he was stuck in there. He's still alive, but hanging on by a thread. Have him wrapped in a towel and out of the water now. Is there anything I can do at all to help him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the turtle?

Neck is stuck out quite a bit, very little response from him around his face and head when I touch him. Will retract his legs if I stimulate them. I believe he's alive, but suspect he's shocky and in a tough way.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the turtle seem to hurt?

I believe it's all in his neck and head since those are the parts of him that were sucked into the vacuum opening of the pool skimmer.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the turtle's name?

Terry ( as in Terry the Terrapin)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Terry?

Not sure... I want to think he'll need some "dry" time out of the pool, and as I said earlier, I do have him wrapped in a towel. At this point all I can do is watch him.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/29/2017
Reptile Expert: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?