Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

We have a painted turtle, we have a outside pen for it, with…

Customer Question
We have a painted...

We have a painted turtle, we have a outside pen for it, with fresh spring water that never freezes. It had been staying under water most of the time, we keep expecting it to hibernate in the mud. But it has come out of the water and seems listless.it has started to get pretty cold where we live.the turtle came from a gravel pit where we live. I just brought it inside. I'm afraid it will freeze to death. It has its legs out of the shell and its head in. The eyes are closed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the paint turtle?

Nothing looks abnormal, no sweelong, sores or amything.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/29/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

How cold is the water in the Pond?

Have you tried warming the turtle inside the house?

Any bubbles from the nose or mouth?

Joan

Not sure on temp if water, it feels cold but never freezes, no bubbles from nose or mouth. I have brought the turtle in and have it a warm shower.

Thank you! You can do a warm soak for 20 mins. This will help warm up the turtle. I am concerned, the water is cold, but not cold enough for Hibernation, so the turtle came out to try and find colder water. I am also concerned that the turtle may be ill finding him with all limbs out from the shell.

Did he respond to the warm shower? Of you squeeze a back foot will he respond and try and pull it in?

Joan

She tucked all limbs in during tbe shower. We believe our turtle to be a female.
And interesting on it wanting colder water, we thought it was a bonus that the water never freezes.

Turtles if the water is not cold enough in the low 50's may not hibernate. She cannot go out now because you are correct she could freeze to death. Unlike Box turtles you can hibernate them inside, you cannot do that with a Painted turtle , but you can set up a tank in the house to acommadate her until the water gets cold enough or she can stay inside until it warms up. She will need at least a 20 gallon tank or a rubbermade bin. A UVB light, a Basking light and a basking shelf. She can do well in a tank or rubbermade for the winter or you can try putting her back out when the water gets colder.

She will need her usual diet of prey and some vegetation and a calcium supplement. She may not eat much because even though she is not hibernating, she may be in torpor which is a semi hibernation state when she may not eat and she just lows down to almost sleep. The UVB light would have to run 10 hours along with a basking light. The basking light temps should be 90 under it and the water temp in the 70's.

Keeping her in for now until the water gets colder is the best option.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan