Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

She is a Florida box turtle not sure how old. We've had her…

Customer Question
She is a Florida...

She is a Florida box turtle not sure how old. We've had her for 1 year. She laid one egg last month. She won't eat. It's been about 5 days and when she did eat she only wanted wax worms. I haven't been able to get her to eat fruits, veggies, eggs or anything. She just stays buried in her enclosure most of the time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the box turtle. What is the box turtle's name?

Her name is***** she was a he when we got her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?

She was doing fine up to about a week ago, although still not eating a balanced diet.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/28/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me if you are sure she only laid one egg?

Have you checked for other eggs?

Do you use a UVB bulb, holw old, linear tube or compact coil and strength?

Has the weather gotten colder in your area?

Do you feed supplements?

Joan

Only one egg. Yes on the uvb bulb. Reptisun 5.0 UVB about a week old linear tube. U shaped x 2 in single bulb. She is indoors in a new terrarium enclosure and it does get down to about 69 degrees F. Inside. I tried powdered calcium and vitamins on her food and worms but she wouldn't eat it. She also has a daytime Aqua culture 75w heat lamp.

The UVB light you were sold is not strong enough. Reptiles like Box turtles require a 10.0 or a Mercury Vapor bulb since the Need the stronger UVB to metabolize the calcium into D3 in the body.

I suspect she may be hold some eggs. Min on box turtles are 3 eggs and up to about 8 eggs.

She is acting like she wants to hibernate by going in her den and not eating. This is the time of the year we see Turtles and Reptiles go into torpor or hibernation.

Since she only laid one egg, I have to suggest having her checked before she does go under for hibernation. They need to Xray her and be sure she is not egg bound or holding any eggs. That could be deadly.

If You do not have a Herp Vet, I can locate some for you with a State.

It is the time of year we do see turtles slow down eating or go off food and go down for their sleep.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan