Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Thanks for answering. I have two fancy leopard geckos I've…

Customer Question
Hi, thanks for answering ...

Hi, thanks for answering

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

I have two fancy leopard geckos I've had them for about three weeks One just successfully molted last night

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes... My pets are leopard geckos subadults I believe

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the leopard gecko?

Well the smaller one just molted last night and he seems healthy decent appetite just before but the other one.. that had a healthy appetite.. isnt eating hasn't eatne more than 2 mealworms in the past two days

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the leopard gecko will be able to digest that. What is the leopard gecko's name?

His name is thor

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Thor?

I'm pretty sure he's an albino he doesn't like waxworms..

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/26/2017
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 6 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

Hello.

My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.

Has Thor now shed all of his old skin?

What temperatures do you maintain on the warm and cool sides of the enclosure?

What substrate do you use on the cage floor?

Thank you.

Hi Anna, thank you.Thor hasn't actually shed yet.. His buddy has, just last night. Thor's a bit bigger though, so I think he may have shed before I brought him home. It's been two days since his appetite's been down. He really just steps over the mealworms, for which he used to have a pretty hearty appetite--no problems in the three weeks I've had him.
The temperatures are about 75 on the cooler side and I think about 80-85 on the warmer. I have 2 60 watt mini dome lamps and an UTH on the side of the tank, away from the water bowl and feeder.
The substrate on the floor is the ZooMed Repti Sand in white, over white unmarked papertowel lining.
I tried checking Thor's underside, in comparison with my other gecko, Bunny's. Bunny's underside is a clean soft pink but Thor's is somewhat dark in some spots, though the "spots" look more like dark veins under our human skin... Would those be his intestinal tract?? It doesn't seem hard to the touch.. His skin still feels soft and fleshy. I do want to take him to a veterinarian to be sure but I'm still worried a little...
Any help you could provide, I'd appreciate. Thank you very much.

Thank you for getting back to me. I think you are right to want to take him to a vet, but I'll give you a few suggestions in the meantime.

I’ll start with a first aid measure.Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak Thor for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their skin and vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

I would get rid of the sand. Pet stores often recommend it, but it does frequently lead to serious health problems, including impaction. It’s also a leading cause of eye infections, respiratory irritations, and skin problems. I recommend reptile carpet or ceramic tile as a substrate. Here's a reputable site where you can read more:

http://www.anapsid.org/substrates.html

It's possible Thor has become a bit constipated from accidentally swallowing sand.

Those dark lines on Thor's underside may be the digestive tract, but they may also be actual veins. All the internal organs and blood vessels are more visible on albinos. You will want to ask the vet about this to be sure it's not a sign of something wrong.

I would also increase the temperature. Leopard geckos do best with a warm side at 88*F and a cool side at 82*F. These temps should be maintained day and night.

The soaks, warmer temps, and removing the sand will be all you can do on your own, but these measures will support Thor until you can see the vet. If you don't already have a vet, this link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I hope Thor will quickly reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!