Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Trouble shedding around her eyes. Leopard Gecko. Her name is…

Customer Question
Trouble shedding around her...

Trouble shedding around her eyes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Leopard Gecko

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the leopard gecko's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** I’m not really even sure if it’s a girl. I took her from my niece 6 1/2 yrs ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Izzy?

She was habytrouble shedding several eeeks ago and when I finally went online I treated her with the warm baths & vegetable oil to lubricate her eye lids. It worked and her eyes were back to normal for only a day or two. She started to shed agtand this time I can’t clear her eyes. I hand feed her so she doesn’t die but she can’t see.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/25/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me if there is retained eye caps or she in the eyes?

Do you keep a Moist hide in the enclosur?

Is her Vision affected?

Joan

I don’t have a moist hide, never have and this is a new issue. Yes her vision is affected. I hand feed her because she can’t see.

Thank you! Unfortunately, when retatined eye caps or shed is in the eye it becomes layered and causes blindness. This problem will need to be rsolved by a Herp Herp. They will be able to remove the layers and she should retained shed in the eyes. I can locate a Herp Vet with a State.

You should keep a moist hide om the warm side of the tank. It acts as a moisture chamber to aid with shedding. We also see shed issues due to a Vitamin A deficiency, so the Vet may also give some Vitamin A to help with the issue.

Retained shed is a common problem in Leopard Geckos.

To make a moist hide you can take a margerine container and turn it upside down placing moist paper towels in the lid. Cut a hole in the side and place over the under the tank heater and this will create a moisture chamber the Gecko can use for shedding.

Please hit reply to discuss this information and so I can locate some Herp Vets for you.

Joan