Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Got a bearded dragon for grandson and he had no help from…

Customer Question
Got a bearded dragon...

Got a bearded dragon for grandson and he had no help from parents to care for him. Just picked up lizard and he looks bad. Hadn't been putting the right light on him plus had powdered calcium in bowl instead of putting crickets or worms in calcium. He's not moving a lot either. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dragon. What is the dragon's name and age?

Benny and 6 months to a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Benny?

Not that I know of. He was just left to die. Horrible!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/25/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Does the Dragon have a UVB light, how old is the bulb, strength and bran?

Basking light?

Substrate in tank?

Diet Prey/Veggies?

Temps in basking area, ambient temp and cool side?

Joan

You are not on, but I want to give you some emergency measures to take when you read this in case I am not on line. Please give the Dragon a warm soak in a 50/50 solution of Pedialyte and warm water. Soak for 15 min., dry him and returne to the enclosure to basking area and under the UVB light. Make sure the temps are 105-110 in the basking area, 90's ambient temp and 80's on the cool side. This should take him until morning when I can give further instructions on feeding and care. Make sure you support him in the soak. I am sure he is dehydrated and this soak will warm and hydrate him.

Please respond to this information and I will continue with further instructions for care and feeding in the morning.

Joan

How is the Dragon doing? Did he perk up with the soak?

Joan