Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I woke up this morning to one if hid front claws missing and…

Customer Question
I woke up this...

I woke up this morning to one if hid front claws missing and blood in his tank

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Bearded dragon that is 3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dragon's name?

Truman

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Truman?

His behavior before lady night at bedtime was normal. He didn’t want to eat this morning though

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/24/2017
Reptile Expert: Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your reptile. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.
Dr. Adamski
I’m terribly sorry to hear that your bearded dragon suffered an injury. Fortunately, these problems are relatively common and should not pose any long-term threat to your pet.Here are my recommendations:1. If the injury is still bleeding then we can stop it by using a decent amount of moistened corn starch to pack the wound. Hold very firm pressure on the wound withbtge corn starch for 5 minutes. This home-based remedy should successfully stop the bleeding.2. You will need to prevent the wound from becoming infected until it heals. This involves two steps.A. Once you stop the bleeding clean out the enclosure and replace everything with just paper towels for bedding and a hide spot. This will be easy to clean, provide a clean environment for the wound to heal, prevent further injury and you will be able to monitor the wound to see if it starts bleeding again.B. Clean thecwiybd daiky with a Q-tip moistened with soap and water. Dry the wound after cleaning it and apply a small amount of triple antibiotic ointment or Neospirin once a day for a week. This will help prevent an infection until the injury starts to heal.3. Here’s what you need to look for in case the wound becomes infected and your beardie needs to be seen by your local veterinarian. Look for redness, swelling or any sort of discharge. This indicates an infection is present despite our best efforts and you will need to have your pet seen by a veterinarian to prescribe a systemic antibiotic to deal with the active infection.4. Please keep the temperatures in your enclosure between 75F/24C on the cold side and 100F/38C on the hot side. This will help your reptile’s immune system fight off any infection.I hope that has provided some information for you. I would recommend you visit a veterinarian experienced working with reptiles. You can locate a local veterinarian in your area by going to the following link which lists vets by state or province.http://members.arav.org/search/custom.asp?id=3661I hope this helps. If you have further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your snake all the best.Dr. Adamski
Reptile Expert: Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
I am checking in to see how your reptile is doing. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. If l can be of any further assistance please let me know.Dr. Adamski
Hi Natasha,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Yankmedic911