Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

We have a Jackson's chameleon and yesterday he was exploring…

Customer Question
Hi, we have a...

Hi, we have a Jackson's chameleon and yesterday he was exploring the bottom of his cage and very lethargic but this morning when we woke up and turned his lights on, he woudn't open his eyes and is very lethargic.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the chameleon. What is the chameleon's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's about 7 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scooter?

He eats about 10 crickets a day. We supplement with non-D3 calcium twice a week and D3 calcium 1-2 times per month. We have a heat lamp and UV bulb and monitor the temperature gradient and humidity, which are always within the appropriate range. I did also realize that I mistyped-yesterday he was very active on the bottom of his cage. He wasn't lethargic until this morning.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
Update: I got him to drink a sip of water and he slowly crawled onto my hand and let me move him to his basking spot (he felt very cold to the touch). He's still sitting in that spot, hasn't moved since crawling off of my hand, hasn't opened his eyes, and won't eat or drink again. It's been about 10 minutes.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/23/2017
Reptile Expert: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What is the ambient temp, cool spot and hot spot temps in the habitat?

2) What substrate is being used?

3) When did he last eat?

4) Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

5) How long have you had him?

6) What temperature does the habitat fall to without the lights on?

He’s my boyfriend’s chameleon, my boyfriend couldn’t get off of work today so I’m trying to get some help for him. Because of that, I don’t know everything about his care but I’ll do my best to answer.1) The temperature gradient is 69 in he cooler spot to 82 in the warmest spot.
2) I’m not sure
3) He was eating and drinking yesterday
4) I found an emergency vet that take reptiles, and am heading there now so I can’t take pictures right now but will send pictures later if the vet can’t help
5) He got him in early September
6) Mid- to high-60s

Keep me posted on your progress. I'll keep an eye out for updates.

We've figured it out, thank you!

Let me know if I can help further.