Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Our bearded dragon has been acting strange the last few

days. She's not going to...
Our bearded dragon has been acting strange the last few days. She's not going to the bathroom, when she is in her tank she is running from one side to another hitting the glass. Then trying time climb out of the tank non stop. But when you pick her up she is calm.
11/23/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What is the ambient temp, cool spot and hot spot temps in the habitat?

2) What substrate is being used?

3) When did she last eat?

4) What bulbs are being used for the habitat?

5) How long have you had her?

6) What does her diet consist of?

7) What vitamin supplementation are you using, if any, and how often is it provided?
8) Do you have any animals or active family members in the area where her habitat is located?
9) When did this start?

1. hot is about 90 cold is about 80
2. I use the green felt type bottom
3 I got her to eat a bit ago
4 solar glow
5 we got her in july
6 we feed her crickets, super worms and fresh salads daily
7 we give her calcium about once a week and I add a dry food to her salad about once a week also
8 yes she is in our living room. we have 2 cats and a dog. 2 kids also
9 about a week

Excellent. It may help to move her to a more calm area, particularly if there is more activity in your home surrounding the upcoming holiday. I would also check the habitat over to ensure that no crickets remain in her habitat as she may be trying to flee from them. They are known to injure animals when left in the habitat, so ensure that they are removed if uneaten. I, personally, prefer using a clear shoebox type setup for feeding crickets where you can put them in, add the beardie and once done feeding can remove the beardie once more (you can easily tip the shoebox over and put them back into a baggie or other holding container for the next meal, as well). This is much safer on the animal.

To help facilitate stool production, you can give her a warm soak 2x daily. The water should be tepid (about what you'd bathe a child in) and no deeper than her shoulders. Monitor the entire time she's in the water and leave her there for 15-30 minutes at a time. She may use the bathroom while she's soaking or may when she returns to her habitat.

If this does not improve her behavior and she does not begin stooling, she will need to see a reptile vet in your area. If you need help finding one, please let me know.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse