Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

We live in Switzerland, our 5 yr old leapard gecko was

Customer Question
We live in Switzerland...

We live in Switzerland, our 5 yr old leapard gecko was trying to shed her skin last night. She had problems especially around her feet and so we kept spraying her with water. I think she was dehydrated but the problem is that she keeps flipping onto her back when she tries to turn around as if she has lost her equilibrium. We have an appointment with the reptile vet tomorrow which we have never been to but we are very worried because she will not eat her favourite food and every time we dip her food in the calcium and vitamin mix she does not always want to eat it. She seems very lethargic and sleeps all day and is far less active than she used to be. Sorry Hello there we are so concerned as we love this little one.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the leopard gecko?

We got her from my son's teacher 6 months ago and about 8 months ago she went missing for several weeks so I do not know if perhaps she caught a bacteria then which has slowly made her worse. Also we have her roomate, Loulou who is 9 and is quite a fiesty madame and Parmesan seems to be very hesitant to go into the cave below the heat lamp as Loulou dominates this space and for the last few days keeps pushing our sick gecko out.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/21/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 8 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** and I have been a Vet tech for 35+ yera and have worked with reptiles for over 40 years.

Can you tell me does your Gecko take any clacium at all on the food?

How ofetn do you feed the calcium?

Do you use Vitamins daily?

Do you have a moist hide in the enclosure?

When did the flpiiping over start?

Joan

they eat crickets and these special white (bee) worms (not mealworms) every 3 to 4 days and we dip one of either the ckickets or the worms in first the Exo Terra Calcium +D3 mix and then another insect in the Nekton -Multi-Rep (vit and mineral) mixture. the sick gecko, Parmesan is a very reluctant eater usually, especially if the insect has been covered in powder. I would say every 3 out of 4 times she will eat the powedered insect. The flipping has started since last night, at first I think it was because she could not move properly as her feet were covered by the old skin but now after we pulled the old skin off she still flips over. She is constantly tired, lethargic but we were told that during the winter they become slower and eat less as they have a mild form in nature of hibernation. We do not have a moist hide as the teacher who had them before never used one, the animal shop did not recommend one and for the last 6months there was no problem and the other gecko sheds without any difficulty.
we live in switzerland so I could not fill my number in the box on the webpage. But if you give me your number, I can call directly over the landline?

Geckos need two hide a dray hide and a moist hide with is a moisture chamber for shedd ing and is usually kep on the warm side of the tank.

When giving supplements you need to keep a dish of plain calcium in the tank at all time since gecjos will likc out of a dish. Never use the Vitamin and calcium together that can cause an ovare of Vitamin D3 and can cause some Neurological issue. Calcium should be used 5 daya s a week on prey a dish in the tank and the Vitamins two days on the prey.

The reason we see flipping can be from D3 toxicity, Metabolic Bone Disease or in this case I suspect when misting you got some water into the aural openings causing a vestibular issue.

If there is still shed on the feet, you can always give a warm soak and work the shed off in the water.

The Vet visit is important as soon as you can get the Gecko in. I suggest confining the gecko in a padded smaller carrier until your HerpVet visit.

To try feeding you can use some chicken baby food and mix with a pinch of clacium powder and drop on the snout and see is she will lick the baby food off the snout. This will support her until you see the Vet.

Please hit reply to discuss this information to discuss this information.

Joan