Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My large of my 2 red footed tortoises hasn't been acting…

Customer Question
My large of my...

My large of my 2 red footed tortoises hasn't been acting very well. She doesn't eat much, sleeps a lot

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the tortoise. What is the tortoise's name and age?

Beretta and not sure on her age

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the tortoise?

She just started in the last few days moving the mulch out of her way it seems like and when she has her baths she does have some water after come out of her nose for a while

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/21/2017
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 8 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear your tortoise is not well. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the enclosure?Have you noticed any discharge from her nose or eyes other than right after the bath?Has she been yawning more than usual?Thank you.
What's the best way for me to tell the temperature? There environment is open but there is a heat lamp and there home area where they sleep is dark and covered.No there is no discharge from her eyes or nose. She just makes lots of bubbles and water will come out. It's like she is consuming to much to fastI'm not sure on the yawning as she doesn't come out as often as what she use to but when she doesn't seem toThank you

Thank you for getting back to me. The best way to tell the temperature is with a digital probe thermometer. They are sold at Walmarts and home improvement stores. You just put the probe where you want to read the temp. You can move it to different areas to get the various temps. The temperatures are very important information to have.

Once you get the thermometer, adjust the temperatures if you need to. The gradient in the enclosure should be 75*F to 85*F, with the basking area warmer yet, at 90*F. Night temperatures can go down to 70* to 75*F. Being even a little too cool can lead to appetite loss, lethargy, and illness. Digging in the mulch can be an attempt to hide.

You didn't mention a UVB light, but your tortoises also need one of those.. Without it, theyll get Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD), which causes a slow, painful death. A Reptisun 10 is the best. Whatever brand you choose, read for yourself that the bulb emits UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel. Full spectrum, UV, SunGlo, DayGlo, and UVA are not the same thing. Without UVB light, tortoises cannot properly utilize calcium, leading to deficiencies and MBD. The UVB light bulb must be changed every six months. They just aren't very efficient after that, even if they look fine.

Here is a site where you can read more about care:

http://www.chelonia.org/articles/redfootcare.htm

If you provide proper conditions and the tortoise's symptoms don't improve, she'll need to be seen by a reptile vet. This link will take you to a directory of them:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more concerns, let me know. I hope your tortoise will be fine.

Anna

That's about the temperature reading that I'm getting but I'll watch it for a few days.. Yes I have a UVB light for them.
OK. Good. I'm concerned she may have a respiratory infection because of the bubbles after bathing. Since you have good temperatures, I do recommend a vet visit.
Ok but would that also be the cause to why she isn't eating?
any infection can cause appetite loss and lethargy.