Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

We bought a baby ball python in August, had some trouble…

Customer Question
We bought a baby...

We bought a baby ball python in August, had some trouble getting him to eat at first, but then he was doing ok eating one pinkie each week until a couple of weeks ago. He stopped eating or even trying to eat, started acting listless and limp. He was moving around a little until late last night. This morning he looks sort of deflated and won't move or react at all.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the baby. What is the baby's name and age?

Loki is his name, I'm not quite sure of the age, but we bought him about 3 months ago and were told he was a baby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Loki?

He has not shed since we've had him, I don't know if that is normal or not

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 8 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Is Loki tongue flicking?

If handled will he try to wrap or ishe limp?

Have you checked temps in the enclosure?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Joan

Limp yesterday not doing anything today. We are in upstate ny near Binghamton
No tongue flicking temp on hot side is around 90

I am afraid with no tongue flicking and being limp Loki is gone. This information sounds very discouraging and Loki need to be checked up to confirm. This is NY Herp Vets:

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/newyork.shtml

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/newyork.html

I know this is not something you wanted to hear, but I have to be honest and since I cannot be there to very the situation, The Herp Vet will need to see and confirm.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. This is the hardest information to deliver, but it does not sound good.

Joan

I wanted to check in on your Ball Python. Did you get him to a Vet? Did he make it?

Joan

No he didn't make it

I am sorry for the loss. When you wrote in the snake sound like he was in dire condition. My condolences. If I was of help, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. Should you get another Snake I would be happy to assist you with any information.

Joan