Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I was hand feeding him(adult), which he prefers and he bit…

Customer Question
I was hand feeding...

I was hand feeding him(adult), which he prefers and he bit my finger. It is bleeding but small and like a paper cut

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Bearded dragon

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dragon?

No. He's never done this. It was an accident

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/21/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 8 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Dragons for over 40 years.

Is your question about you being bitten or is it in reference to something I can assist you with about your Dragon. If it relates to you and being bitten I will need to send this to our Medical Dept. If it is in relation to your Dragon I would be happy to assist you.

Joan

My dragon bit me. I just wanted to know what to do for the bite. Thankyou
I wish I could call but I cant.

You would treat the Bite as you would any other cut or scratch I would clean with Betadine and follow up with some Neosporin. I cannot tell you the amount of times I have been accidently and purposely bitten by Dragons and other Reptiles. and just cleaned norally with no ill effects. From what you have described it is a minor nip from the hand feeding.

Please let me know if I have addressed your concerns. If I have satisfied all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan