Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

We got a bearded dragon 3 days ago. It was eating great and…

We got a bearded...

We got a bearded dragon 3 days ago. It was eating great and now (day 3) not at all. She ate yesterday morning ok and nothing last night. She pooped twice yesterday. She has the eco mat, no sand. And we got the power sun bulb that is combination basking uvb. Amy suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dragon will be able to digest that. What is the dragon's name?

Chloe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?

She’s more scared today than the first day, but I kinda thought that might be normal.

11/20/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What is the ambient temp, cool spot and hot spot temps in the habitat?

2) What substrate is being used?

3) How old is she?

4) Can you share pictures of your companion and the habitat?

5) Where did you adopt her?

6) What does his diet consist of?

7) What vitamin supplementation are you using, if any, and how often is it provided?

Just got her 3 days ago from Petco...not sure on age. I’ve ordered surface thermometer, but until it gets here(tomorrow)using stick on. Reads 95-100 in light. Using power sun 100w. Crickets mostly. Tried a blueberry and cabbage-no interest. Dusting with repticalcium daily

She looks pretty happy. What are you using as substrate? Are those small rocks I see in the picture? gravel?

It’s called a sand mat...no loose sand or gravel. Just mimicked I guess
Ok that she’s not eating today?

Excellent. Any loose pebbles might be ingested and your little one might not be able to pass it.

I would give this a try: obtain a few flavors of pureed baby food such as chicken or squash. Apply a small dab on the tip of the snout and see if she will consume it from there. If she will, give her a few hours and try fruits, veggies and an easily captured prey item such as small meal worms or wax worms to see if she will eat. If she won't, I would recommend a veterinary examination to be sure she's healthy. Often when baby beardies undergo stress of transport and rehoming we can see ailments develop that were previously not a concern, such as intestinal parasites or even respiratory problems. If you do not already have a vet, you can locate one in your state at http://www.anapsid.org/vets/. I'd try the babyfood first to see if she will eat.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
She’s also closing one eye then the other. Do you think her light source is ok. Google veterinarians are split on the one I bought:)

The power sun bulb seems to work generally well for beardies. Petco seems to be selling these as a kit. I would personally stick with a UVB bulb and ensure 12 hours of "daylight" from such a bulb and then no light overnight. If the temps fall too low a ceramic heat emitter can be used (puts out heat rays without light). The red or blue bulbs sold for night time observation can stress dragons and should not be used. The closed eye may be an indication of foreign material, infection, retained spectacle, etc. If this persist, an exam will be needed. Sometimes they do close their eyes periodically and one at a time. So long as the eye is clear, bright and doesn't appear matted or painful, there should be little concern. Her behavior should tell you if this is something to be concerned about or not. If you aren't sure when you see her doing something, capture video and send it along through this chat. I'll be happy to take a look.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse