Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My 22 tear old red tail boa constrictor i believe has mouth…

Customer Question
My 22 tear old...

My 22 tear old red tail boa constrictor i believe has mouth rot, wont eat for months, drinks water, has gone to the bathroon, normal, acting normal, open his mouth ladt night, it was white and drool has been coming out, heat always set for 85-90% always. Can take him to his normal vet, but not untill wednes day, will he be ok untill wednesday?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the boa constrictor's name and age?

Name" LAKOTA" HE IS 22 YEARS OLD, D.O.B. 1 - 22- 1995

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the boa constrictor's name?

LAKOTA IS HIS NAME

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about LAKOTA?

JUST hasn't eaten in months, LOOKS and acts normal except I saw his mouth last night,

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/20/2017
Reptile Expert: Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your reptile. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.
Dr. Adamski
I THANK YOU SO much, I can get him to his vet, but not untill Wed. Will he be ok untill then sir? AGAIN, I THANK YOU VERY much!!!
There are many potential causes for not eating in snakes. As you mentioned it could be mouth rot or a bacterial infection of the mouth, another type of bacterial infection, parasites in the intestines, stress, or several other problems.If you are able to get pictures of your snake’s mouth that would be helpful in determining whether it has mouth rot or not.Yes, Wednesday should be an acceptable timeframe to see a veterinarian since the problem has been going on for months, two more days should not make that much of a difference but i would recommend you schedule an appointment as soon as possible.Based on the information you provided, here are my recommendations to help stabilize your pet snake until it can be seen.1. As im sure you know EVERYTHING about reptiles runs based on temperature. Therefore, i would set the hot side temperature/basking area for 90F/32C and the cold side at 75F/24C. You can switch out heat bulbs, add or subtract bulbs and/or add heat pads to achieve your desired temperatures.
This will help Their immune system function to the best of its ability to fight off any infection as well as respond to any medicine your veterinarian prescribed. Setting your snake’s enclosure temperatures at these settings will also help to ensure it’s stomach and intestines are working correctly so when eventually it does eat it will be able to process the food properly.2. Please soak your boa in a Luke warm or bath-tub temperature shallow water bath for 30 minutes daily until your appointment. Soaking will help prevent dehydration which can seriously harm your snake. If he is a bigger snake you can use your bathtub or a big plastic container with a lid and air holes.3. Consider switching to paper towels or newspaper bedding until the health problems are resolved. It will be easier to clean and if there are parasites it is easier to get rid of them that way.I hope that has provided some information for you. I would recommend you visit a veterinarian experienced working with reptiles. You can locate a local veterinarian in your area by going to the following link which lists vets by state or province.http://members.arav.org/search/custom.asp?id=3661I hope this helps. If you have further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your snake all the best.Dr. Adamski
Reptile Expert: Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
I am checking in to see how your reptile is doing. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. If l can be of any further assistance please let me know.Dr. Adamski
If you liked and appreciated my answers please rate my answer and click on the accept button so I can receive credit for my time and effort. It would be sincerely appreciated.Dr. Adamski
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian