Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

He is lethargic and W ont eat. Map turtle. Spike and we've…

Customer Question
He is lethargic and...

He is lethargic and W ont eat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Map turtle

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the turtle. What is the turtle's name and age?

Spike and we've had him for 10 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spike?

He's getting over the white filmy stuff on his skin. We got a new tank, pump and heater for him

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/20/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 8 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

You mentioned a new set up. Do you have a UVB bulb? Strength, brand age and strength?

Supplements?

Diet?

The white filmy stuff, was it shed or is it a fungal infection?

Is the weather getting cooler where you live?

Is he basking more?

Basking Temps and air temps?

Joan

The white film was a fungal which I have treated him for. He has a whole new tank, lights everything specifically for turtles. He is not basking.. just laying in the bottom of the tank not really moving. We took him out for a few hours to dry off. Back in the bottom of tank he went. They have treats for turtles and food. The other is the same age and doing fine.
He has lost weight as well. I noticed that besides his legs not pulling away as they normally do, they were thinner.
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 7 months ago

THank you! What you are describing is hibernation in a turtle. When a turtle wants to hibernate they go to the bottome of the tank and sleep. The do not come up to eat or get air. THisis the time of year we start seeing this in Reptiles.

The fact he is just coming off a fungal infection and that he has lost weight, he should not be hibernation. His immune system is weakened and I suspect that he may have a parasite issue going on.

In a case like this a Herp Vet visit is needed to check him out for a vitamin deficeiency and a parasites to be treated. Hibernation is a very hard time for Reptiles.

I can locate some Herp Vets for you if you would supply a State.

These turtles are avid carnivores and shuld be getting live prey as well as pellets. Alos double check your UVB light is a 10.0. The UVB is very important for the immune system. Also make sure you have a calcoim block or Cuttle Bone available to help prevent Metabolic Bone Disease.

Please hit reply and we can discuss this information. Please do not rate my service is disatisfied in any way. I will try to do my best to clarify any concerns you may have to recieve an excellent rating.

Joan

He died last night....he had dark red spot on his head and tail. Didn't have those before

I am so sorry for the loss. I will let customer service know. My condolences.

Joan

then tell me, what would cause him to start to bleed out? He has blood coming from the underside of the shell and his head as well as his tail and this was near death that this occurred. My son wrapped him in a towel and there was blood on the towel from him meaning the turtle