Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My bearded dragon (10 years old) is eating normally when I…

My bearded dragon (10...

My bearded dragon (10 years old) is eating normally when I just fed him but I noticed he had some foam coming out of the side of his mouth and then his nostril

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dragon's name?

Thor

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Thor?

He has not been super active and has large but infrequent bowel movements

11/20/2017
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the tank set up?

Substrate?

UVB light?

Diet prey/veggies

Supplements?

Temps in basking are, ambient temp and cool side?

What was he eating when this happened?

If you look into the mouth do you see any redness or sores?

He has a 55 gallon tank with linoleum on the bottom. He has rocks and a hollow log hide on the warms side with a basking spot that reaches 95 degrees under his heat and UV bulb. He has a water jug and dish on the cool side (72 degrees). No supplements and he hasn't readily eaten veggies for a while but when he does it's butternut squash and collard greens (I also tried a prepared diet from National Geographic but he wouldn't eat very much of it). He always is happy to eat super worms so that's what I give him. That's what he was eating when it happened but to be fair there was some spit before I started feeding him. I just checked and there doesn't appear to be sores or anything open. Just a little crust on his bot***** *****p that looks like dried foam.
Oh and he has a cinder block hide in the middle as well that he likes to sleep in at night.

Can you tell me a little more about the UVB light? Is it a linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

What prey is or was he eating?

Joan

I don't remember the brand but it's a combo uvb/heat (maybe powersun or zoomed?). It's a big, flattened round bulb. I got it more than a year ago.He eats superworms and big mealworms.

Thank you! That is a Mercury Vapor bulb and they need to be replaced once a year or they loose potency and only give UVA after a Year. I do suggest you go to a ceramic tile. It has been found that linoleum gives off fumes when warm and can be toxic to the Dragon.

I am concernes about what you said with the foam and some remeaining in the mouth that we may have the start of Stomatitis or mouth rot. It sounds like it is caught early, but could be the reason for not wanting to eat. We also have Brumation time fast approaching where we see the Dragons go off food for their long sleep.

I would like to see you clean the gums and tooth line with a Diluted Betadine want water solution. You can use a gauze pad or a cotton swab, but be cautious since some Dragons will try and snap the cotton swab and swallow it that is why I suggest the gauze on the finger. What happens is food will get trapped between the gumline and the teeth causing an irritation. It then gets infected and the Dragon goes off food.

The celaning should help that. Normally a Vet will go in and clean the plaque off the teeth that also causes that.

As far as Not eating, If you feel that he may be preparing for brumation that is a normal process. If you feel it may be from what I suggest about the stomatitis, I suggest he be seen by a Herp Vet before Brumations, since that is a hard time for a Dragon with out eating, Drinking and being asleep for 3 months. If you do not have a Herp Vet I can locatwe some with a State.

Make sure you basking temp gets up in the 105-110 range, the ambient temp at mid 9o's and the cool side in the 80's for optimum temps for his health.

Please hit reply to discuss this information and any questions you may have for me.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
I'll work on replacing his flooring and light. I will do the cleaning like you suggested and if his eating doesn't improve I'll take him to the vet. Thank you very much!

You are Very Welcome!

Joan