Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My bearded dragon poop is watery and looks like blood is in…

My bearded dragon poop...

My bearded dragon poop is watery and looks like blood is in it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dragon's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** is about a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pablo?

I feed him superworms, he doesn’t really eat vegetables. I sometimes give him apples

11/19/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What is the ambient temp, cool spot and hot spot temps in the habitat?

2) What substrate is being used?

3) When did he last eat?

4) What bulbs are being used for the habitat?

5) How long have you had him?

6) What does his regular diet consist of?

7) What vitamin supplementation are you using, if any, and how often is it provided?
8) Any potential for foreign body consumption?
9) Has he had a recent fecal analysis by your vet?

1 temp in the hos spot is between 90-100 cool spot is about 75
2 it’s a desert rock mat
3 he at this morning around 9
4 I have a uvb bulb, and I can’t remember the names of the other bulbs I got them from the pet store
5 I’ve had him almost a year, about 11 months
6 he eats superworms that I sprinkle with calcium powder, he doesn’t really eat veggies and I’ll sometimes give him an apple
8 not that I know of
9 no

One of the most common reasons we see fecal material turn watery with blood present is due to intestinal parasites and protozoan. The best approach for Pablo is going to be scheduling a visit with a reptile veterinarian to have his feces analyzed. Do you already have a reptile vet who cares for your reptiles?

No I haven’t been able to find one who is in my area

In what state do you reside?

Maryland

The following link has a list of veterinarians in Maryland that see reptiles:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/maryland.html

Once you have scheduled your vet visit, try to acquire a fresh sample of stool less than 12 hours before your visit. You can place the contents into a plastic baggie or small Tupperware container. Refrigerate, do not freeze, until the appointment. Your vet may also try to acquire a sample during your visit to get the most information available from a sample (fresh is always best, ***** ***** can acquire it). They will run a fecal analysis in-house and have results for you within a short period of time. Treatment will likely be oral medication you'll give Pablo at home for a few days which should return the stool to normal consistency without blood.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse