Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My lil cham has an eye shut, just started a few days ago.

my lil cham has an...
my lil cham has an eye shut, just started a few days ago. I'm using zoomed 60 watt combo pack, daylight blue & nightlight red. he keeps rubbing hid lil eye, he's very young, just a lil guy, I'm worried & can not afford to bring him to a vet, I don't really thin there's a good very here for him to see anyway, I live in Lafayette Louisiana. I keep the glass aquarium hea at about 85 degrees with humidity at around 85-90
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
he is still opening he's eyes & eating, pooping reg
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
usually just laying around enjoying his environment
11/18/2017
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear your chameleon has a problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.What is the temperature right under the basking light?Is there any discharge from the eye?Do you also have a UVB light?Thank you.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
about 85-90degress, no discharge, no only the Uva daylight light bulb
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on some information for you now and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
the light setup

Thank you for waiting.

I suspect you got your information on care from a pet store. Most people do. While we should be able to rely on such information, unfortunately, it is often wrong. They sell people the wrong lighting, advise the wrong foods, and often don't know the correct temperatures for the various reptiles. After months of things not being quite right, the animal becomes ill. Some of what you have been told is wrong, and while it isn't the cause of the eye problem, without some changes you will have more serious problems down the road. It's obvious you are a very caring chameleon owner, but without correct information, many loving reptile owners lose their pets every year. I'll start by giving you information on the eye, and then go into some changes.

Keeping the eye closed can indicate a minor irritation. The first step is to try some saline solution - the kind made for contact lenses. Just put a drop in several times a day. If this is a small irritation, you should see an improvement within 2 days. If you don't, you're probably dealing with an eye infection. In that case, you'll either need to see a vet or get some antibiotics to try. Eye antibiotics usually have to be ordered online. Here is a reputable source:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Terramycin.html

Just follow the instructions that will come with it.

There is a third possibility that is more serious. Sometimes eye symptoms are the first sign of a respiratory infection. There is no home treatment for that. A safe prescription antibiotic, such as Baytril, has to be obtained from a vet. With a respiratory infection, you will eventually see discharge from the eyes or nose, appetite loss, breathing difficulties, and lethargy. At this point, I don't think this is what is affecting your chameleon; I just want you to be aware of what to watch for.

I'll post this much now, then I be back shortly with the changes you'll need to make.

It's extremely important that you buy an additional light that produces UVB rays. A Reptisun 10.0 in the straight tube style is a good brand that does. Any brand of spiral/coil compact bulbs can be linked to eye problems, so stick with the straight tube. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, daylight, UV, and UVA are NOT the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to a reptile’s health. Without this light, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will develop because they won't be able to produce vitamin D. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. MBD causes a very slow and painful death. UVB bulbs must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out the UVB rays.

I would also make some adjustments to the temperature. 90*F is about the minimum we would want in the basking area. A bit warmer would be better. We try to provide a gradient of temps in the cage. You can check the temps in various parts of the cage with a digital probe thermometer- sold at Walmart and home improvement stores.

Chameleons are adaptable to temperature extremes in their wild habitat, but there they can move around to find warmer or cooler spots. In a cage they have no choice. After months of being too cold, illness often develops. The coldest part of the cage should be 82.5*F. There should be a warm basking area that is kept at 89*F to 113*F. That sounds hot to us, but to a chameleon, it is just right. at night the temperature can be allowed to drop to 72*F to 79*F. You may not need a night time bulb unless your home gets quite cool at night. You can adjust the temperature by raising or lowering the fixture or by changing the bulb to one with higher or lower wattage. If you have to lower the fixture, don't put it so low that your chameleon can touch it and be burned. I suggest that you read the information on this site for better advice on care than what you will get in a pet store:

http://www.kingsnake.com/rockymountain/RMHPages/RMHveiled.htm

I'm going to try to find your nearest reptile vet in case you need one in the future. It may take awhile to go through some directories, but I will be back.

The closest one is in Lake Charles, which isn't too bad. We do often have to drive an hour or two to reach a vet when we have exotic pets. My own drive is 2 hours. Hopefully, you won't need a vet for the eye problem, but it's always good to locate a vet before there is a medical emergency. Here's the information:

Christine M Mocklin, DVM
Country Club Veterinary Clinic
2717 Country Club Rd
Lake Charles 70605(###) ###-####/p>

If you have more questions or concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope Lil Bugger will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Your humidity should be ok. I'll look up the ingredients in that solution, then get back to you.
I wouldn't use tgat solution. It has a lot of extra ingredients, and a long list of potential side effects. Look for a plain saline solution. If you live near a Walgreen's, they sell one for under $5. You can see it here:https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-saline-solution/ID=prod6191601-product?ext=gooPLA_-_All_Products&pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku6169085&sst=7ab2357f-0186-452a-bc7e-6856bf0ed3bf&reactjs=trueArtificial tears will also work.Let me know if you need anything else.
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
ok & thank you so much
You're very welcome.
Hi Angela,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lil Bugger. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist