Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

I have a Kreft turtle that has developed spots on his shell.

I have a Kreft...

I have a Kreft turtle that has developed white spots on his shell. I’m able to scrape them off with my fingernail and they don’t appear to be soft or smelly. Could it just be shedding? Or possibly mineral deposits? Hoping it’s nothing serious

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the turtle's name and age?

Leo and I’m not sure the exact age but I think 10-12 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the turtle's name?

Leo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leo?

I’ve tested the water and it seems fine. He’s eating normally and is very active

11/17/2017
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm reviewing your question now, and will be right back.
Thank you for waiting. With she'll shedding, the old cells come off in the shape of the scutes. They are translucent, rather than solid white. If that's what you are seeing, it's normal shedding.Mineral deposits from hard water are usually a solid white. It often takes a bit of scraping with a fingernail to get them off, but if they are newly deposited, they may come off more easily.Finally, fungal infections also can produce white spots. They are generally easier to remove, but will come back fairly quickly. They may appear fuzzy or soft.If you can send me a picture, that may help us determine what the spots are. You can upload a photo by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions will pop up.If you can't provide a picture, I suggest gently scrubbing off all the spots with a clean soft toothbrush, using room temperature water. If they come back in just a couple of days, it is probably an infection. If that happens, let me know, and I can give you a home treatment for such infections. There would be no additional fee as long as you come back to this same question to let me know.I hope you can get a photo, since that will be the fastest way to solve the problem.Anna
I will take a photo right away
Thank you. That looks like fungus. In the photo,the spots seem to have uneven edges and are a little fuzzy at the edges. I'll give you the method to treat this. It will take a few minutes to put it together, but I'll be back.

Thank you for waiting.

There are two ways to treat fungal infections. The most effective involves what is called 'dry-docking.' You'll need to prepare a 'hospital' for the affected turtle. A large plastic tote works well. It should be equipped with a basking area at 31*C and a UVB light. The turtle will be kept warm and dry, except for a 30 minute bath twice a day. You can just put him back in his tank for those time periods. The two baths are very important to prevent dehydration. Feed during the bath. After each soak, scrub the shell with a clean toothbrush with povo-iodine (available in drug stores) on it, but try not to get it on the skin, and especially avoid the eyes. Do this twice a day. Follow that with a coating of anti-fungal cream (the kind sold for women to use to treat yeast infections). If the problem doesn't clear up within two weeks, you'll need to have your turtle examined by a reptile vet.

The second method is less likely to be successful, but is more convenient. I strongly recommend the dry dock method, but if it isn't possible, you can use one of the sulfa bath products sold in pet stores. They are added to the tank. With this method, too, a vet should be consulted if the fungus isn't gone within two weeks. If your turtle also has some early shell rot, the dry-dock method will help, but the sulfa bath will not. This link will take you to a directory of vets if you end up needing one:

http://www.wolfwood.com.au/rept2.html

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope you'll be able to quickly clear this up.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Thanks for your help. I will try set up the dry dock over the weekend

You're welcome. That sounds like a good plan.

Do I have any water at all in the dry dock or just an empty container with a light attached?

No water at all is needed. The two baths each day prevent dehydration.

Great. Thank you

You're very welcome.

Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist