Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My bearded dragon discharged a yellow tinted liquid before…

Customer Question
Hi my bearded dragon...

Hi my bearded dragon discharged a yellow tinted liquid before pooping ...the urate and poop looks normal but the liquid has me concerned

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dragon?

I couldn’t find crickets one day and switched to super worms for one feeding and that’s when it started

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/17/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 8 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Dragons and Reptiles for 40+ years.

Age of Dragon?

Can you tell me about tank set up?

Substrate?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

Basking Light?

Diet Veggies/Prey

Supplements?

Temps in the basking area, ambient temp and cool side?

I brought Eddie home from Petsmart about 2 1/2 months ago I think he/she? was about a month old at the timethe tank set up is a uvb bulb running the langth of the entire tank, a rock under the basking light : hot side is about 100*-110* cool side is 80*-85* And a few structures (at night I use a blue light to keep the tank from becoming too cold) I don’t remember the wattage I bought but it was what was recommended being that the heat source is 6in from the basking rockI was using a Repti carpet but I just switched to paper towels so I can change them everydayEddie eats an insane amount of crickets and I can’t figure out why, he/she eats anywhere from 100-140 am/md crickets within 15 minutes (he’s about 12in long but not that old so idk why he’s grown so fast? I rotate dusting them with calcium & vitamin supplements every other dayHe/she won’t eat many types veggies but eddies salad usually consists of kale & Bok Choy Greens

The bulb we most worry about is the UVB light. It should be a Reptisun 10.0 and be replaced every 6 months. It will continue to give light but no UVB rays.

Super worms and Meal worms should not be fed to dragons. The are not digestable due to the high chitin amount and very high in fat that can cause liver problems if fed on a long term basis. If the Dragon is under a year he should have 80% live prey and 20% veggies and over a year the pertenages reverse.

If you are not feeding veggies it is important to start. This is a color coded list: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html AS far as prey Crickets, dubia roaches, silk worms and Phoenix worms are all acceptable.

The liquid you had seen was either the liquid urine or Bile that was passed. If it was bile most likely diue to the sure worms, since as I said they can cause digestions issues.

If the Dragon is eating normally, passing stool and urates, basking and doing well (acting normally), I do not see anything to be concerned about. I do advise a soak a few times a week in warm water for hydration.

Please hit reply with any concerns, or questions you would like to discuss. I am here to help you and your Dragon. My goal is to earn a 5 star rating for giving accurate and excellent service.

Joan