Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My tortoise's head is swollen on the left side, and puss and

Customer Question
My tortoise's head is swollen...
My tortoise's head is swollen on the left side, and puss and mucus are coming out. She seems out of it and has trouble moving the left side of her body. He head also has dirt but is too sensitive to remove it. He mouth won't close fully and her chin seems swollen too.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the tortoise's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** I am unsure of the age.
JA: How old is Tina?
Customer: I do not no.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tina?
Customer: She has had shell rot before, but that was treated.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2017
Reptile Expert: Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your reptile. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.Dr. Adamski
Reptile Expert: Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian replied 30 days ago
I will do everything I can to help. Based on your description it sounds as though your tortoise has a rather severe infection and/or abscess which consists of a bacterial infection with a collection of pus or dead bacteria and white blood cells which is Your tortoise’s body’s way of trying to fight off the infection. This infection can potentially spread to the entire body. This is a serious problem and can become life-threatening. You will definitely need to schedule an appointment for your pet tortoise to be seen by a local veterinarian experienced working with reptiles. I hope that has provided some information for you. I would recommend you visit a veterinarian experienced working with reptiles. You can locate a local veterinarian in your area by going to the following link which lists vets by state or province.http://members.arav.org/search/custom.asp?id=3661In order for me to help you i need some further information.1. What species of tortoise do you have?2. What type of enclosure do you have for your tortoise including the substrate?3. Do you have a UV-B and heat lamp for your pet?4. What are the hot and cold side temps in your enclosure?I look forward to hearing back from you today so i can provide advice to stabilize your turtle until it can be seen by your local veterinarian.Dr. Adamski
Reptile Expert: Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
I’m checking in to see how your tortoise is doing. May I Be of any further assistance?Dr. Adamski
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian