Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My daughter has an aquatic turtle. Not sure of the exact…

My daughter has an...

My daughter has an aquatic turtle. Not sure of the exact type. She has had him for about 6-7 years. She has noticed he is not eating, sleeping a lot and seems to be gasping for air. She said you can actually hear him make some kind of sound. I have found a vet for her to take him to but am just trying to get some answers in the meantime and see if there is anything she can do till she gets him there.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the turtle. What is the turtle's name?

Hurley. I am wondering if it could be an upper respiratory infection.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hurley?

No I don't think so. He has always been healthy and he is kept by himself in the tank so he isn't exposed to any other turtles.

11/16/2017
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear Hurley is not well. I'm reviewing your question right now, and will be right back to ask about any other information I need.
Based on your description, it sounds like Hurley has a respiratory infection. Can you tell me what temperatures your daughter presently maintains under the basking light and in the water?What brand of UVB light does she have? How old is the bulb?Thank you.
I'm sorry but I don't have the answer to these questions. She is at work and I can't contact her right now. I know she does have the basking light on and uses it regularly.
I have told her she needs to keep him warm and get him to a dr as soon as she can. Thank you. That is all the questions I have for now.
Thank you for getting back to me. Respiratory infections in turtles may sound like a human cold, but are much more serious because they quickly progress to pneumonia. However, they are bacterial and can be treated with safe prescription antibiotics, such as Baytril.As you said, being warm enough is all she'll be able to do until she gets to the vet, but we don't want it to get too hot, either. The area right under the basking light should be about 90*F. The water should be around 80*F. Warm temps can give the immune system a boost.Let me know if you think of anything else. I wish Hurley a full recovery.Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist