Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

He won't eat. Now her shaking and very weak. Leopard gecko.

Customer Question
He won't eat. Now...

He won't eat. Now her shaking and very weak

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Leopard gecko

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the Leopard gecko's name and age?

Boss. Not sure of his age

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Boss?

I don't know

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boss?

He's about 6 inches long

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 8 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear that Boss is not well. I'm going to give you a first aid measure to take right away, and then we'll try to figure out what went wrong.Buy some Pedialyte ( yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half water at about 85*F and half Pedialyte. Lizards can absorb fluids and nutrients through their skin and vent ( where droppings pass out) so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Soak Boss for 20 to 30 minutes. Be sure to supervise closely. If he's too shaky to keep his head out of the water, hold it up for him.Go ahead and do this. Let me know what happens, and then we'll go on from there. Thank you.
Okay. Thanks.
I done this and he still don't eat.
Won't
Ok. What temperature gradient do you have in his cage.? It needs to be 88*F on the warm side and 82* on the cool side. If it’s cooler than that, adjust the temps to those levels. If that doesn’t help, it means he is really sick. He will need to see a vet.
Ok it's 81 on the cool side and hot side 85
60 Wyatt bulb
Your temps are close enough- he’s not too cold. You already tried the soak. The shaking can mean he is dehydrated or deficient in calcium. Do you have a vet?
Not. He haven't been eating in like a month so both are probably true. I've done the risk before wirh Gatorade. He ate a little after that.
If it's been going on that long, he has to be in critical condition. This is a site where you can find a directory of vets:http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist