He won't eat. Now her shaking and very weak. Leopard gecko. Boss. Not sure of his age. I don't know. He's about 6 inches

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: He won't eat. Now her shaking and very weak
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Leopard gecko
JA: OK. What is the Leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: Boss. Not sure of his age
JA: How old is Boss?
Customer: I don't know
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boss?
Customer: He's about 6 inches long
Answered by Anna in 1 hour 5 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear that Boss is not well. I'm going to give you a first aid measure to take right away, and then we'll try to figure out what went wrong.Buy some Pedialyte ( yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half water at about 85*F and half Pedialyte. Lizards can absorb fluids and nutrients through their skin and vent ( where droppings pass out) so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Soak Boss for 20 to 30 minutes. Be sure to supervise closely. If he's too shaky to keep his head out of the water, hold it up for him.Go ahead and do this. Let me know what happens, and then we'll go on from there. Thank you.
Customer
Okay. Thanks.
Customer
I done this and he still don't eat.
Customer
Won't
Ok. What temperature gradient do you have in his cage.? It needs to be 88*F on the warm side and 82* on the cool side. If it’s cooler than that, adjust the temps to those levels. If that doesn’t help, it means he is really sick. He will need to see a vet.
Customer
Ok it's 81 on the cool side and hot side 85
Customer
60 Wyatt bulb
Your temps are close enough- he’s not too cold. You already tried the soak. The shaking can mean he is dehydrated or deficient in calcium. Do you have a vet?
Customer
Not. He haven't been eating in like a month so both are probably true. I've done the risk before wirh Gatorade. He ate a little after that.
If it's been going on that long, he has to be in critical condition. This is a site where you can find a directory of vets:http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.