Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Both eyes closed and puffy and not eating. Turtle. Painted…

Customer Question
Both eyes closed and...

Both eyes closed and puffy and not eating

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Turtle

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the turtle's name and age?

Painted turtle. We found a baby one in our porch three years ago... just a size of a quarterback

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the turtle's name?

What kind?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the turtle?

We called him Corey. He has orange dot edge of his shell

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
Reptile Expert: Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your reptile. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.Dr. Adamski
Ok
need some more information so I can provide you the best answers possible.1. How long ago did this problem start?2. Please look at your turtle from head to toe. Do you notice any injuries or signs of illness besides the eye problem You already mentioned such as vomiting, diarrhea or loud breathing?3. What size tank or enclosure do you have your turtle in? And what is the water temperature? How often do you change the water?4. Do you have a heat lamp and a UV-B lamp?5. What do you feed your turtle? Do you supplement your turtle's diet with calcium? These are really important questions since nutritional problems can often result in the signs you’re describing.Please get back to me as soon as possible so I can do my best to help you and your pet. I look forward to your response. All the best.Dr. Adamski
Since Tuesday night. No injuries. Water temperature normal and reptile tank . Yes heat lamp. Dry shrimp
Ok. Thank you for the information. Based on the information you provided and the description of the problem. It is possible your turtle is suffering from a vitamin A deficiency and/or has a severe blood-borne bacterial infection called sepsis. Both of these problems can be life threatening.Therefore, here are my recommendations to help stabilize your pet turtle until it can be seen by your local veterinarian.1. Everything about reptiles runs based on their temperature. Therefore we need to make sure your turtle is at the right temperature range so his immune system will function correctly to fight off the potential infection. Please ensure the hot side/basking area temperatures is approximately 95F/35C and the cold side doesn’t get below 75F/24C even at night while he is sick. You can add heat bulbs, get bigger bulbs or add a heat pad to modify the temps.2. Dry dock him while he is sick and weak. This will help prevent drowning and help conserve energy as well as ensures he stays warm.3. Soak him daily in a shallow warm water bath for 30 minutes. The water temperature should be like warm or bath tub temperature. It should be just deep enough to cover the bottom half of his shell. This will help keep him hydrated and prevent constipation by encouraging him to go to the bathroom. Painted turtles tend to eat better in water as well.4. You stated you feed him dried shrimp. I would recommend you add floating turtle pellets to your pet’s diet. This will help make sure his diet is nutritionally complete and balanced since dried shrimp alone don’t contain all of the nutrients turtles need to survive long term.5. You mentioned you had a heat lamp which is good. If you don’t have an ultraviolet-B or UV-B bulb you should get one of those and place it next to the heat lamp in the basking area. Reptiles such as your turtle in captivity need daily access to direct sunlight or a UV-B bulb so they can absorb calcium and maintain strong bones and a shell.6. Based on the description of the problem and the information you provided I suspect your turtle is very sick. I would strongly recommend you schedule an appointment with your local veterinarian so they can examine your pet and determine the best course of treatment. I hope that has provided some useful information for you. I would recommend you visit a veterinarian experienced working with reptiles. You can locate a local veterinarian in your area by going to the following link which lists vets by state or province.http://members.arav.org/search/custom.asp?id=3661I hope this helps. If you have further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your turtle all the best.Dr. Adamski
I’m checking in to see how your painted turtle is doing. May I Be of any further assistance?Dr. Adamski

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian