Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

Are you going to charge me? Beardeddragon. She hasn’t pooped…

Are you going to...

Are you going to charge me?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Beardeddragon

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the reptile?

She hasn’t pooped in at least 2-3 weeks!

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the reptile's name?

Clutch

11/16/2017
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian
Hello. I am terribly sorry to hear about the problem with your pet. I shall do my best to help you and your bearded dragon. I will see what I can do to help you. I'll need some more information so I can provide you the best answers possible.1. Do you soak or give your pet a bath at all on a regular basis?2. Please look at your beardie from head to toe. Do you notice any problems? Coughing/sneezing/vomiting, etc?3. What size tank or enclosure do you have your turtle in?4. Do you have a heat lamp and a UV-B lamp?5. What do you feed your beardie? Do you supplement the diet with calcium?Please get back to me as soon as possible so I can do my best to help you and your pet. I look forward to your response. All the best.Dr. Adamski
She pooped yesterday
Ok. Marvelous. That is good to hear. :)If you can provide me with the information I listed above i can help you modify your diet and husbandry for your pet so this problem doesn’t happen again and we keep your pet happy and healthy. :)I look forward to hearing back from you today so we can help your pet.Dr. Adamski
Is it going to cost me more to keep talking to you? I give them greens daily, crickets or Dubai in the mornings about an hour after their lights turn on 40 gal tanks with uvb & heat light it stays around 80-85 on cool side & 95-105 under basking one food bowl hides & climbing things they get baths 1-2 xs a week. Calcium twice a week multivitamin twice a week & calcium with d3 once a week their bugs are gut loaded & I use newspaper substrate
Hello. To answer your question, no it will be one flat fee for my expert advice. Ensuring your diet and husbandry are the best they can be is definitely in both you and your pet’s best interest. Making sure you’re feeding a balanced and nutritious diet as well as making sure you have the proper enclosure set-up/habitat and temperatures for your bearded dragon will often prevent problems from occurring in the first place, be cheaper to deal with and result in a happier and healthier pet. :)Overall, i am very impressed by your husbandry. Good job. I️ was especially impressed by your use of Dubia roaches and gut loading your insects.Here are my recommendations:1. Constipation can sometimes be caused by long-term mild dehydration.
Reptiles in the wild will self regulate their body temperatures which can be a wee bit tougher to do in captivity. Therefore, i suggest you lower your enclosure temps slightly. You can keep your basking area/hot side temps around 95-100F but i would decrease your cold side temps to approximately 70-75F. This mimics the natural temperature change in the semi-arid desert outback region of Australia that your pet comes from. This will allow your beardie a to self-regulate their own temps better by providing a greater temperature gradient and prevent dehydration which can cause the constipation you saw recently.2. Once beardies reach adulthood in the wild they switch over from an insect based diet to a much more herbivorous one based on eating plants. Therefore, once your bearded dragon reaches one year of age or greater please switch it over to feeding it mostly greens and vegetables. You really only need to feed insects once per week at that point. Furthermore, adult lizards like your beardie don’t need to eat every day. Most zoos and nature centers feed their reptiles every other day or 3-4x per week for example. This provides more water to keep your lizard hydrated as well as nutrients. The excess chitin from insects can also cause constipation. This will prevent them from getting fat and having other health problems.3. I was really pleased you supplement your diet with calcium and multi-vitamins. However, consider modifying your supplemental schedule so you don’t overdose your pet on fat soluble vitamins like A/D/E/K and you achieve better calcium absorption. Please supplement with calcium with vitamin D3 EVERY meal and only provide the multi-vitamin once per week.4. If you live in a warm weather area that has outside daytime temperatures at least in the 70’sF consider allowing your pet supervised direct access to sunlight at least weekly. Direct real sunlight is much better than the UV-B bulbs to help ensure your bearded dragon makes enough vitamin D3 so it can absorb calcium for healthy bones and proper muscle function. You will need to supervise your pet outside so they don’t get lost or hurt but it’s very healthy for them and great environmental enrichment. Also, glass blocks UV-B bulbs so bring in an aquarium outside won’t help. :)On a related note don’t forget to change your UV-B bulbs every six months. Even though they still put out visible light, research has shown that the part of the bulb that emits the ultraviolet spectrum of light burns out after six months.5. Please continue to soak your bearded dragon weekly on a routine basis for its entire life as well as daily when shedding. Soaking will help with three things. Reptiles absorb fluids through their vent so it keeps them hydrated. It encourages retained sheds to loosen up and fall off. Finally it also stimulates them to go to the bathroom so they don’t get constipated or blocked up. Soak your beardie for 30 minutes in Luke-warm or bath-tub temperature water. You only need to fill it up to cover the bottom half of their body.6. I will email you a list of greens and vegetables suitable for reptiles as well as some nutritional fact sheets tomorrow.I sincerely ***** ***** information proves helpful and useful. I wish you and your bearded dragon all the best. Should you have any further questions or concerns please let me know.Dr. Adamski
Thank you. They do eat their veggies daily. Today’s Tyrion greens, kale, green pepper, & butternut squash. I was told not to do d3 every day because they may overdose?? Clutch’s temps are what you suggested. I will spray her food so she will get more hydration. She bathed yesterday. She just came out of brumation a week or more ago. She’s doing better now that she’s pooped. But I notice her gaping her mouth some? I’m watching for any signs of respiratory problems. I’m hoping it’s her regulating her temp.
Thanks for getting back to me with the update. That’s good to hear that your beardies eat their vegetables and greens. You provide an impressive variety of greens and vegetables. Variety is the key to a good balanced diet which can be tough to do in captivity. Good job 😊. Often they get addicted to insects which can cause low calcium levels and other health problems later in life.1. You should only provide a small amount of the calcium powder daily. It works better if you provide smaller amounts daily as opposed to larger amounts infrequently. Providing too much makes the food bitter and taste awful so your beardies probably won’t eat it. The small amount of vitamin D3 you providecdaily gas not been shown to cause problems or overdose reptiles even with long-term use over months and years.2. As long as your beardie is otherwise happy, healthy, active, eating and not showing any other signs or problems then the open mouth or gaping behavior is probably normal thermo-regulatory behavior. It’s a natural way for reptiles to dissipate heat similar to panting behavior in dogs. Lowering the cold side temps to provide the greater temperature gradient with cooler temps should help minimize that behavior.On a related note, look for signs of nasal or eye discharge, excess fluid in mouth, loud noises while breathing, and excessive heat seeking behavior to determine if you’re dealing with a respiratory infection.3. FYI, The fact that your bearded dragon was brumating last week could also have contributed to the constipation. As I’m sure you’re aware, EVERYTHING about reptiles runs based on temperature; their immune system and their ability to fight off infections as well as their appetite and gut movement to help them digest and absorb food are both significantly affected by temperature. Reptiles intestines can slow down greatly or even stop when brimstone which is why reptiles in the wild and those in captivity are normally fasted and don’t eat prior to brumating.Ok, i sincerely ***** ***** of that information helps. I’ll be in touch tomorrow with further information. All the best.Dr. Adamski
Sorry for the typo in section #1 and #3#1: the small amount of Vitamin D3 you provide daily has not been shown to cause problems...#3: reptiles intestines can slow down greatly or even stop when brumating...
Thank you for the compliment! �� I do my best for all of my animals. So I will give them a small amount of d3 daily, right? What about without d3? & multivitamin?
Do you have any knowledge about beardies changing their sex After birth?
please add a small amount of calcium powder with vitamin D3 every time you feed your bearded dragon.To my knowledge bearded dragons like most other reptiles are not capable of changing gender. I know certain fish species are capable of this but i am not aware of any reptiles that are able to do so. It can be very difficult to sex beardies when they are very young however. As they mature and grow in size certain physical characteristics such as femoral pores on their legs develop which make identifying makes versus females easier.
If you liked and appreciated my answers please rate my answer and click on the accept button so I can receive credit for my time and effort. It would be sincerely appreciated.Dr. Adamski
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian