Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My spotted turtle is acting strange. Pooka 3-5yrs. He's

Customer Question
My spotted turtle is...

My spotted turtle is acting strange

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the turtle's name and age?

Pooka 3-5yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the turtle?

He's acting weird n still inside water when putting him on basking spot he sticks his head all the way out n stays still can't lift his head

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Reptile
need help asap please
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/15/2017
Reptile Expert: Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian
If you liked and appreciated my answers please rate my answer and click on the accept button so I can receive credit for my time and effort. It would be sincerely appreciated.Dr. Adamski
Sorry... please ignore the previous text.
I am terribly sorry to hear about your reptile. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.
Dr. Adamski
ok
ello. I will see what I can do to help you. I'll need some more information so I can provide you the best answers possible.1. Do you see any signs of illness such as coughing, sneezing, vomiting or diarrhea?2. Please look at your turtle from head to toe. Do you see any wounds or other injuries?3. What size tank or enclosure do you have your turtle in? And what is the water temperature? How often do you change the water?4. Do you have a heat lamp and a UV-B lamp?5. What do you feed your turtle? Do you supplement your turtle's diet with calcium?Please get back to me as soon as possible so I can do my best to help you and your pet. I look forward to your response. All the best.Dr. Adamski
no excretions of any type he has both uva and uvb he eats pellets mostly n sometimes worms
his shell hasn't looked the best lately but he was just eating 2-3days ago
i put calcium inside his water w the water change
he's laying on basking spot sprawled out head and neck extended tail n legs out but staying very still
basking spot tmp 80-90 degrees air tmp 75-80 degrees
working on water temp dunno yet
water temp is 74.4 approx atm
Ok. Thank you for providing the information. Your husbandry and diet sound adequate. Your temperatures are ok if a wee bit on the warm side of the preferred temperature range for that species.If there are no obvious signs of injury then we must assume he is suffering from a potential illness.First, let’s establish responsiveness. Pinch one of his toes really hard. Does he contract his leg or move? What sort of muscle tone does he have; strong or poor?I look forward to hearing back from you. I will provide a treatment plan to help your turtle once I hear back from you.Dr. Adamski
let me see'
What did you find out?Dr. Adamski
how hard do i inch i dat wanna hurt him
Please pinch him hard with your fingers or a pair of tweezers. You won’t cause any permanent damage or harm. We need to figure out if he is ok. If he is not then we need to determine how sick he is.Dr. Adamski
ok
he moved
n ow hes closing eyes
n open again
did the pedialyte n water at 80 degree soak n he was moving a bit more but now closing eyes n open eyes
he's closing eyes n laying head down like he's going to sleep?
he usually sleeps around this time or a little later
Ok. Thanks for checking. Turtles can bask and sleep quite frequently on daily basis. If your pet turtle is otherwise active and eating with no abnormal signs such as vomiting, coughing or diarrhea I think he was probably just resting and should be ok.However, if he displays any of the following problems your pet turtle could be sick and should be seen by your local veterinarian for an examination to rule out any health problems.1. Lack of activity including poor muscle tone or inability to walk or swim
2. Poor appetite
3. Noisy sounds while breathing
4. Diarrhea or vomiting
5. Constant heat seeking behavior by sitting under heat lamp in basking area more frequently that normalIf you notice any of these problems then I strongly recommend you get your turtle evaluated by a veterinarian.I hope that has provided some information for you. I would recommend you visit a veterinarian experienced working with reptiles should problems worsen. You can locate a local veterinarian in your area by going to the following link which lists vets by state or province.http://members.arav.org/search/custom.asp?id=3661I hope this helps. If you have further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your snake all the best.Dr. Adamski
how do you know if a turtle is on the brink of death?
what does it mean when theres a lack of muscle activity and inability to swim?
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian