Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My bearded dragon hasn't pooped in over a week but hasn't…

Customer Question
My bearded dragon hasn't...

My bearded dragon hasn't pooped in over a week but hasn't ate much was shedding. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dragon will be able to digest that. What is the dragon's name and age?

Why is my bearded greeting upset with me. Daily he is blowing up and turning black. Tries to go at me and popping his head up and down. Just started doing this

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dragon?

I'm female. I haven't been feeding him correctly by what I have read. Leaving night light on and leaving food in at night.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/14/2017
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 7 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'll be gad to help you this evening. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.Has he completely finished shedding now?How old is he?What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?What substrate do you use on the cage floor?What do you normally feed him?How often does he usually poop?Thank you.
he has finished shedding. 1 1/2 years old, basking 95-100, cooling side 70-80. Most of the time cooler at times, reptile carpet, superworms, carrots, kale, green beans, collard greens, mustard greens. Pooping about 7-10 days
I answered your questions but you haven't answered me Why?
I as just now notified of your response. I will opt out of your question, which will open it to other experts, who may be able to help you.
Ok but if you can't answer me with you an expert I hope someone can
I could have helped, but you seem unhappy with me, so I thought you'd prefer someone else.
It doesn't look like anyone else is going to step in. I suspect the strange behavior is due to stress. Shedding is stressful, and so is being constipated. It also sounds like breeding season behavior, but this isn't breeding season.I'll give you a way to treat the constipation. Buy some baby food prunes and some Pedialyte ( yes, the kind for human infants). Drop a small dollop of the prunes right on the end of his snout. Most of the time, reflexes will cause them to lick it off. If he does, wait about 45 minutes. If he doesn't eat the prunes, go straight to the next step. Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half warm water (100*F) and half Pedialyte. Soak your dragon for ten minutes. Then, with him still in the water, gently massage his underside from front to vent ( where droppings pass out). Many times these steps are enough to cause them to poop.Your temperatures are too cool, and that can also lead to sluggish digestion. Under the basking light, it should be 105*F to 110*F. The coolest part of the cage should be 80*F to 85*F. You don't need a night light. It's ok for night temps to drop into the 70's. Leaving lights on at night also cays s a lot of stress.Super worms and meal worms are a leading cause of constipation. They are all right for some other lizards, but not beardies. These worms contain too much chitin, which dragons can't digest well. Crickets, silk worms, Phoenix worms, and Dubia roaches are better choices. Some of the produce you're feeding is not good either.Because pet stores give out so much incorrect information, I’m also sending along a care sheet, courtesy of Joan, another of our experts. Joan has many years experience keeping and rescuing beardies.Her care sheet is used on some reputable websites, so you may have even seen it before. I suggest that you use the care sheet as a check list to provide the best possible care for your beardie. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your dragon will reach a full recoveryBearded Dragon Care Sheet
Bearded dragons should be housed alone.
Ages of bearded dragons follow these guidelines:
0-3 months- baby 
 3-12 months-juvenile 
12-18 months- sub adult 
18 months + -adultBearded dragons live as much as 10-12 years if well cared for 
properly.
Bearded dragons have a very good temperament as long as they 
are cared for and handled.
When you bring your baby home, it may be quite stressful to 
him/her to get use to new home. May not eat well the first 2-3 days. They may 
not need to be handled the first 2-3 days if skittish and nervous.
Never use sand or any other type of loose substrate: Loose 
substrates can cause impaction (not being able to go Poop) in all ages of 
bearded dragons- they lick their environment to explore .It is difficult to keep 
germ free and clean. Ceramic tile, newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner and 
reptile carpet is what is most recommended. Use paper towels for the little one 
and as they get bigger you can change to something else.
Be sure you keep your beardies home as clean as you can. Clean 
up by spot cleaning when needed. Clean & sanitize entire tank every 10-14 
days. A good cleaning solution is a 20% bleach solution. If you choose to use 
wood climbing branches etc, these should be soaked in the bleach solution and 
rinsed well. Then bake in 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Need a climbing accessory: to bask and to warm up under basking 
heat light and lower branches or platforms to come down and cool off.
A hide of some sort like a cave.
A food dish and water dish.
Plastic spray bottle
Can use artificial plants when they get older- 3 months or so.
Digital thermostat and/or temp gun
Tank size: Minimal size tank for this age is 20 gallon long
Minimal size for older beardie: 4 months of age: 40 gallon 
breeder is the minimal tank size for older dragon. Can divide a 40 gallon 
breeder for a smaller dragon. Must have two lights for your beardie.
A UVB light source-best is 10.0 Reptisun that runs the length 
of your tank. Your dragon must have this light to metabolize calcium. If not he 
will get metabolic bone disease, a serious condition. You can also take your 
beardie outside to bask in the sun for 15 minutes each day if your temps are 80 
degrees or above outside. You can purchase cages or reptariums from your pet 
store. Never leave a beardie outside unattended.
2. A basking type light 
that puts out heat and warmth above basking spot. Your beardie must have warmth 
to digest food & thrive.Lights should be on for 12-14 hours each day. Follow the 
seasons and light timers are a great luxury if you can get them. 6 dollars at 
Lowe's. No lights or warmth needed at night unless your temperatures get below 
62 degrees. If they do, there are ceramic heat emitters that put out no light, 
only heat. Use these at night if temperatures fall below 62 degrees.Temperatures have to be kept at the following ranges during the 
day:
Babies: Warm basking log: 105-115* degrees F (40.5 - 46*C)
Cool side: 85-90 (29.5 - 32*C)Adults: Warm basking spot: 105-110*F (40.5- 43*C)
Cool side: 80-85 (26.6 - 29.5*C)
Measure temperatures with a digital probe type thermometer or a temp gun-these are most 
accurate. Stick on thermometers unreliable.Feeding a Beardie: Beardies eat live prey consisting of 
crickets, roaches and/or silkworms. Never feed any size of mice to your beardie. 
Never feed meal worms. They also must be given greens/veggies everyday. The 
younger they are the more live prey they should have. As they grow older the 
live prey decreases and the veggies/greens should be the major part of diet. 
Never feed anything bigger, than the space between your beardie's eyes. This 
includes both live prey and pieces of veggies/greens,.
A chopper or food processor is a huge help when your beardie is 
small. Always offer greens and veggies: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard 
greens, cabbage, red cabbage, fresh green beans, yellow summer squash, butternut 
squash, sweet potato, cactus pad. Apricots, strawberries, apples, blueberries, 
raspberries, cantaloupe- fruits are treats only.What is live prey? The easiest and less expensive live prey is 
crickets when you have a young or first beardie. The other live preys you can 
feed are silkworms, and special types of roaches. You can learn to raise your 
own live prey. Treats can be wax worms, super worms, and tomato/Goliath worms. 
You may find that ordering live prey from the internet is the way to go..... 
Never leave live prey or greens/veggies in tank overnight. . Crickets can bite 
your beardie when sleeping.Babies should get 80% live prey, and 20 % greens/veggies. But 
since the greens/veggies are a must when they are older, get them eating their 
greens/veggies very early. Give greens/veggies in small pieces everyday. You 
should eventually start decreasing your older dragon's protein intake when they 
are about a year to 15 months old. Their protein intake decreases to 20 % live 
prey and 80% veggies/greens. A baby eats 50-75 crix a day depending on the size of the 
crickets. Never feed crix or veggies bigger than the space between your 
beardie's eyes. Use this guide when buying crix or chopping your greens/veggies.
You must provide calcium dust without D3 and multivitamin dust 
for your beardie. You should dust the live prey with calcium one time a day, and 
vitamins 3 times a week. Just collect your live prey into baggie and add enough 
calcium and vitamin to dust them. Then pour a few at a time into your tank. Some 
people feed their beardie in a separate tank so that no crickets can hide. Or 
some take out "furniture" from tank and feed this way. As they get older, 4-5 
months or so dust live prey with calcium 3 times a week.Feed the veggies/ greens 1st thing in morning after lights on 
for one hour at least. Then after 2-3 hours offer crix. Then freshen 
green/veggies. Then give more crix. Make sure after last crix feeding there is 
at least 1-2 hours of lights so that they can digest their food before night 
time.
Beardies over the age of one year old during the winter months will go into a Brumation like most Reptiles and Herps. It is a form of Hibernation that is governed by the weather and time of year. The lights should be on a shorter period at this time. Fresh greens should be available 
during this period. Do not feed live prey during Brumation.
Water: Mist your little one with the spray bottle 3-4 times a 
day. You can also offer a small dish of water in your enclosure but be sure your 
dragon is not too small to drown in it. It is recommended that when your beardie 
is 2 months old you can bathe your baby in a small plastic container with warm 
water- not hot. It will help them to stay hydrated. As they get older you can 
move up to the bathroom sink and then to the bathtub. Very important for bath 
enclosure to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed prior to bath time. Clean between 
dragons too if bathing more than one.
Fruits and Vegetables:http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.htmlWalnut Shell Graphic:http://mrskingsbioweb.com/beardeddragngrossanatomy.htmSexing Bearded Dragons:http://repticzone.com/articles/sexingbeardeddragons.html