Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

She will not go to the bathroom even after being in a warm…

Customer Question
She will not go...

She will not go to the bathroom even after being in a warm bath

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Bearded dragon

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dragon's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is about 8 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Merek?

She does not live in sand so we do not believe that it is compaction, just normal constapation

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/12/2017
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 8 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.

What do you feed her? Any supplements?

What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?

What brand of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?

When did Merek last pass droppings?

Thank you.

It appears you went offline without seeing my request for additional information. That information will help me figure out why the constipation occurred and how you can prevent it in the future. However, without it, I can give you a basic first aid measure to try.

You'll need to buy some baby food prunes and some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Drop a small dollop of the prunes right on the end of Merek's snout. Most of the time, reflexes will cause them to lick it off. If she does, wait about 45 minutes. If she won't eat the prunes, go right to the next step.

Prepare a shallow warm (100*F) bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak Merek for about 20 to 30 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, with her still in the water, gently massage her underside from front to vent (where droppings pass out) for an additional 10 minutes. That may be enough to help her pass some feces. Be sure to supervise closely.

If you have more concerns or want to provide the other information, just click on reply. I hope Merek will be fine.

Anna

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna