Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

They are bearded dragons and they have a weird coloration on…

Customer Question
They are bearded dragons...

They are bearded dragons and they have a weird coloration on their mouths and now loss of appetite I heard mouth rot. I can't afford to bring them to a vet is there anything I can order online

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dragon?

Their mouths look weird. Usually goes away with neosporin but now they have a loss in appetite and the medicine isn't working

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dragon's name and age?

There are two of them Approximately 8 months old and one is a male and one a female in separate cages. Tneir names are ***** ***** Franky

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dragon's name?

Oh sorry Bearded Dragons One fancy and one plain

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dragon?

Well we separated them about 4 months ago cuz the remale bit off the males toes on one back foot

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Reptile
They have grown real well. Everyone says they are huge for their age and I have no idea what to expect from these beardies cuz I have never owned one before. I am always concerned about everything like if its warm enough if its humid enough if I am feeding them correctly if they are hydrated enough you name it i have several books but it dont really tell me where to get the antibiotics and to bring them to a vet is really expensive
11/12/2017
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 5 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come on line at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. If your beardies have mouth rot, there are a few things you can try at home, but first let's make sure everything else is right for them. Unfortunately, most of the books out there are outdated. They were written in the 1980's, but the publishers keep renewing the copyright so they look newer. We have learned a lot more about beardie care since then.What temperatures do you maintain under the basking lights and on the cool side of the cages?What brand of UVB light do you have? How old are the bulbs?What do you feed? Any supplements?What substrate do you use on the floors of the cages?Thank you.
Temperature is about. 85 or 90 and the cooler side about 70 to 75. The bulbs are new i have white during the day and red at night 150 watts and then one bulb just for heat
I feedÀ them lots of calcium and the recommended vitamin a couple times a weekk. They dont really like greens to well unless i smash mango or something on it
They love crickets and now super worms. On the floor i have play sand that has been dried out in microwave and heater psd with one and a heated rock with the other one
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for waiting.

I suspect you got your information on care from a pet store. Most people do. While we should be able to rely on such information, unfortunately, it is often wrong. They sell people the wrong lighting, advise the wrong foods, and often don't know the correct temperatures for the various reptiles. After months of things not being quite right, the animals become ill. Some of what you have been told is wrong, and I suspect that is why your beardies are having some trouble. Even though you have been trying so hard to keep them healthy, when you didn't have correct information to begin with, things are going wrong.

To restore your dragons to health, there are some important changes you'll need to make, but first I'll deal with mouth rot since that was your original question.

Mouth rot, or stomatitis, is caused by a bacteria that may get into a small wound and multiply. Here's a page where you can read about mouth rot:

http://www.anapsid.org/stomatitis.html

If you can look inside their mouths, check for signs of mouth rot. Look for any growths or a coating that is cheesy in appearance. Blood coming from the gums is another sign, as is a bad smell in the mouth. If you see these things, you can clean the mouth with a cotton swab dipped in hydrogen peroxide. Besides cleaning the mouth, you can be sure a bowl of fresh water is always available. The site I linked to above has more ideas. Unfortunately, if mouth rot isn't eliminated quickly, the infection becomes systemic. That can be life-threatening, and can only be treated with prescription antibiotics. Baytril is most often used. There is no safe and effective antibiotic you can buy without a prescription. So, do the best you can with your home treatments, but if your beardies get sicker, you may have to find a way to take them to a vet.

That being said, the changes you need to make may help, too. I strongly recommend getting rid of the sand and teh heated rock. Pet stores get all their information on these things from the manufacturers of heated rocks and reptile sand. Both of those things are horrible for lizards. Lizards do not have very good heat sensors on their undersides. That means even if the heated rock is maintaining the temperature it is set on, burns can result. The lizard simply doesn't know when its underside has become too hot.

Sand and other loose substrates frequently lead to serious health problems, including impaction. It’s also a leading cause of eye infections, respiratory irritations, and skin problems. It can be a factor in the mouth infections. You can read more about both of these things on this reputable site:

http://www.anapsid.org/substrates.html

http://www.anapsid.org/hotrock.html

Reptile carpet or ceramic tile are better chocies for substrate.

Your beardies are cold. A beardie who is cold will be lethargic, not want to eat a lot, and may even try to hide. They are also more susceptible to infections, and their immune systems are weakened by being cold and cannot fight off infections. The very coldest part of the cage should be 85*F to 90*F. For a youngster this age, the basking spot should be 105*F to 110*F. The latest research on bearded dragons has shown that they can't even begin to digest their food properly until their internal body temperature reaches 98*F. Being cold-blooded, the only way for that to happen is for them to lie in a very hot basking area.You can increase the temperature by using a higher wattage bulb in the basking light fixture, lowering the fixture itself (but not so low that the dragons can be burned on it), or by adding a second fixture. If you need a second fixture, you don't have to buy something expensive from a pet store.If you live in an area that has farm stores, you can buy a clip-on metal light fixture made to keep baby chicks warm for just a few dollars. Don't buy the accompanying bulb, however. You need an ordinary incandescent bulb in the basking light. Hardware and home improvement stores sell similar light fixtures as work lights. You probably don't need a night light unless your home is quite chilly at night. Dragons in nature have very hot temps in the daytime, but in the desert, it gets colder at night. It's fine for night temperatures to drop into the lower 70's.

I would discontinue the super worms (and mealworms, too). They are not a good food because they contain too much chitin and can't be digested properly. They're OK for some other lizards, but not for beardies. They lead to impaction, digestive problems, and , if fed long term, they cause liver damage. Crickets that are no bigger than the space between your beardie’s eyes area better choice. Silk worms are another excellent food. It's normal for young beardies to have little interest in greens. Just continue to offer them, and as they egt older, they should begin eating more. I'm going to give you a link to a reputable and easy to understand site for information on feeding because there is too much for me to explain here:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

From what you have described, you don't have a UVB light at all. It's extremely important that you buy an additional light that produces UVB rays. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand that does. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, daylight, UV, and UVA are NOT the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to a reptile’s health. Without this light, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will develop because they won't be able to produce vitamin D. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. MBD causes a very slow and painful death. UVB bulbs must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out the UVB rays.

I would try to increase the temperatures as soon as possible. That will give the immune system a boost. Because they haven't been eating, I'll give you another

first aid measure.Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water (at about 100*F) and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your dragons for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their skin and vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

after they have been warm enough for a few hours, have had their mouths cleaned, and have a long soak or two, you can try an alternate method of feeding. Get some meat baby food. Mix in a little calcium powder. Drop a small dollop right on the end of their snouts. Most of the time, reflexes will cause them to lick it off. Since their mouths are sore, baby food will be easier for them to swallow than their normal foods.

Because pet stores and out-of-date books give out so much incorrect information, I’m also sending along a care sheet, courtesy of Joan, another of our experts. Joan has many years experience keeping and rescuing beardies.Her care sheet is used on some reputable websites, so you may have even seen it before. I suggest that you use the care sheet as a check list to provide the best possible care for your beardies. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your dragons will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Bearded Dragon Care Sheet
Bearded dragons should be housed alone.
Ages of bearded dragons follow these guidelines:
0-3 months- baby 3-12 months-juvenile 12-18 months- sub adult 18 months + -adult

Bearded dragons live as much as 10-12 years if well cared for properly.
Bearded dragons have a very good temperament as long as they are cared for and handled.
When you bring your baby home, it may be quite stressful to him/her to get use to new home. May not eat well the first 2-3 days. They may not need to be handled the first 2-3 days if skittish and nervous.
Never use sand or any other type of loose substrate: Loose substrates can cause impaction (not being able to go Poop) in all ages of bearded dragons- they lick their environment to explore .It is difficult to keep germ free and clean. Ceramic tile, newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner and reptile carpet is what is most recommended. Use paper towels for the little one and as they get bigger you can change to something else.
Be sure you keep your beardies home as clean as you can. Clean up by spot cleaning when needed. Clean & sanitize entire tank every 10-14 days. A good cleaning solution is a 20% bleach solution. If you choose to use wood climbing branches etc, these should be soaked in the bleach solution and rinsed well. Then bake in 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Need a climbing accessory: to bask and to warm up under basking heat light and lower branches or platforms to come down and cool off.
A hide of some sort like a cave.
A food dish and water dish.
Plastic spray bottle
Can use artificial plants when they get older- 3 months or so.
Digital thermostat and/or temp gun
Tank size: Minimal size tank for this age is 20 gallon long
Minimal size for older beardie: 4 months of age: 40 gallon breeder is the minimal tank size for older dragon. Can divide a 40 gallon breeder for a smaller dragon. Must have two lights for your beardie.

A UVB light source-best is 10.0 Reptisun that runs the length of your tank. Your dragon must have this light to metabolize calcium. If not he will get metabolic bone disease, a serious condition. You can also take your beardie outside to bask in the sun for 15 minutes each day if your temps are 80 degrees or above outside. You can purchase cages or reptariums from your pet store. Never leave a beardie outside unattended.
2. A basking type light that puts out heat and warmth above basking spot. Your beardie must have warmth to digest food & thrive.

Lights should be on for 12-14 hours each day. Follow the seasons and light timers are a great luxury if you can get them. 6 dollars at Lowe's. No lights or warmth needed at night unless your temperatures get below 62 degrees. If they do, there are ceramic heat emitters that put out no light, only heat. Use these at night if temperatures fall below 62 degrees.

Temperatures have to be kept at the following ranges during the day:

Babies: Warm basking log: 105-115* degrees F (40.5 - 46*C)
Cool side: 85-90 (29.5 - 32*C)

Adults: Warm basking spot: 105-110*F (40.5- 43*C)
Cool side: 80-85 (26.6 - 29.5*C)
Measure temperatures with a digital probe type thermometer or a temp gun-these are most accurate. Stick on thermometers unreliable.

Feeding a Beardie: Beardies eat live prey consisting of crickets, roaches and/or silkworms. Never feed any size of mice to your beardie. Never feed meal worms. They also must be given greens/veggies everyday. The younger they are the more live prey they should have. As they grow older the live prey decreases and the veggies/greens should be the major part of diet. Never feed anything bigger, than the space between your beardie's eyes. This includes both live prey and pieces of veggies/greens,.
A chopper or food processor is a huge help when your beardie is small. Always offer greens and veggies: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, cabbage, red cabbage, fresh green beans, yellow summer squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, cactus pad. Apricots, strawberries, apples, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe- fruits are treats only.

What is live prey? The easiest and less expensive live prey is crickets when you have a young or first beardie. The other live preys you can feed are silkworms, and special types of roaches. You can learn to raise your own live prey. Treats can be wax worms, super worms, and tomato/Goliath worms. You may find that ordering live prey from the internet is the way to go..... Never leave live prey or greens/veggies in tank overnight. . Crickets can bite your beardie when sleeping.

Babies should get 80% live prey, and 20 % greens/veggies. But since the greens/veggies are a must when they are older, get them eating their greens/veggies very early. Give greens/veggies in small pieces everyday. You should eventually start decreasing your older dragon's protein intake when they are about a year to 15 months old. Their protein intake decreases to 20 % live prey and 80% veggies/greens. A baby eats 50-75 crix a day depending on the size of the crickets. Never feed crix or veggies bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes. Use this guide when buying crix or chopping your greens/veggies.
You must provide calcium dust without D3 and multivitamin dust for your beardie. You should dust the live prey with calcium one time a day, and vitamins 3 times a week. Just collect your live prey into baggie and add enough calcium and vitamin to dust them. Then pour a few at a time into your tank. Some people feed their beardie in a separate tank so that no crickets can hide. Or some take out "furniture" from tank and feed this way. As they get older, 4-5 months or so dust live prey with calcium 3 times a week.

Feed the veggies/ greens 1st thing in morning after lights on for one hour at least. Then after 2-3 hours offer crix. Then freshen green/veggies. Then give more crix. Make sure after last crix feeding there is at least 1-2 hours of lights so that they can digest their food before night time.

Beardies over the age of one year old during the winter months will go into a Brumation like most Reptiles and Herps. It is a form of Hibernation that is governed by the weather and time of year. The lights should be on a shorter period at this time. Fresh greens should be available during this period. Do not feed live prey during Brumation.

Water: Mist your little one with the spray bottle 3-4 times a day. You can also offer a small dish of water in your enclosure but be sure your dragon is not too small to drown in it. It is recommended that when your beardie is 2 months old you can bathe your baby in a small plastic container with warm water- not hot. It will help them to stay hydrated. As they get older you can move up to the bathroom sink and then to the bathtub. Very important for bath enclosure to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed prior to bath time. Clean between dragons too if bathing more than one.

Sexing Bearded Dragons:

http://repticzone.com/articles/sexingbeardeddragons.html

Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist