Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My 3 year male Texas map turtles front left leg swollen to…

Customer Question
My 3 year male...

My 3 year male Texas map turtles front left leg swollen to about 3xs normal size. He seems in pain cuz he tries not to use it. But is eating and baskingv normally. As best I can tell today is the first day this has been an issue.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the turtle's name?

Dallas

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dallas?

His shell hasn't been shedding scores nprmally

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/11/2017
Reptile Expert: Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your reptile. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.Dr. Adamski
The most likely causes of your map turtle’s problem is a broken bone and/or an infection in the leg. This is a relatively serious problem which requires attention by a veterinarian with experience dealing with reptiles. If the problem is not dealt with then the infection could spread or it might lose use of the injured limb and it might need to be amputated.hope that has provided some information for you. I would recommend you visit a veterinarian experienced working with reptiles. You can locate a local veterinarian in your area by going to the following link which lists vets by state or province.http://members.arav.org/search/custom.asp?id=3661I hope this helps. If you have further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your snake all the best.Dr. Adamski
Meanwhile, I would recommend the following procedures until you can get help.1. I would recommend you dry dock your turtle in a small enclosure. Please you clean paper or newspaper as bedding. Cage resting your turtle in a dry and warm small enclosure will prevent him from injuring the leg any further as well as help prevent any infection from worsening. This will help prevent the problem from getting worse.2. Allow him access to water and food for an hour daily. Make the water bath tub temperature or luke warm. Soaking him daily will prevent your turtle from becoming dehydrated. Allowing him access to feed will prevent him from getting malnourished.3. Everything about reptiles runs on temperature. Keeping your turtle at the warmer end of its preferred temperature range will help its immune system fight off an infection or heal an injury. Try to keep the cold side at 75F/24C and the hot side at 95F/34C.4. If you see any open wounds apply a triple antibiotic ointment daily to help prevent/deal with any infection.These actions should help stabilize your turtle until it can be seen by a veterinarian. Your problem does sound very serious so I would strongly recommend you schedule an appointment with your local veterinarian. I hope this information proves helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns and I shall do my best to help.Dr. Adamski
I am checking in to see how your Turtle is doing. Do you need any further assistance?Dr. Adamski
If you liked and appreciated my answers please rate my answer and click on the accept button so I can receive credit for my time and effort. It would be sincerely appreciated.Dr. Adamski
I am terribly sorry to hear about your reptile. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.
Dr. Adamski
Sorry... please ignore my last text
I’m checking in to see how your Turtle is doing. Please let me know if I may Be of any further assistance.Dr. Adamski
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Reptile Veterinarian