Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I recently got a 4 year rescue male Russian tortoise. He…

Customer Question
I recently got a...

I recently got a 4 year rescue male Russian tortoise.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the tortoise?

He doesn't eat or drink and so I took him to the vet. He has a healthy weight and lots of energy. Bought a daylight lamp for reptiles and have in in a large tortoise house inside. I've tried romaine, watercress, spinach, kale, prickly pear fruit, strawberries, apples, carrot, squash (cooked, mashed and cooled...nothing seems to satisfiy his interest

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the tortoise's name?

Rescue

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rescue?

As I said he has a lot of energy and whenever he tries to climb out of the enclosure (pretty nice size) I take him out and let him walk around in the studio.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wounds and just took him to the vet to see if he needed a beak trim but she said not - looks great

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/10/2017
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 5 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm reviewing your question now, and will be right back.
I'm glad you started out with a vet visit. It's always a good idea to have any new pet examined, especially one that comes from a rescue situation. That means we can rule out illness, and we have to figure what the problem might be. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.What is the temperature right under the basking light? How about on the cool side of the enclosure?Do you have just the one light?Has the tortoise eaten anything at all? How long have you had him?Thank you.
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist