Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My res is pale in color and sheds powder like substance. I…

Customer Question
My res is pale in...
My res is pale in color and sheds powder like brown substance. I have 3 baby res and my talk gets cloudy and brown so quickly. I decided to separate one of the turtles that seemed different from the others. Within a day the water got dirty and brown. I dont know what it is does anyone know?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XOkT0w7-fQWTzPjAbpAtZDt2WApF92c8
here are some photos
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Reptile
11/9/2017
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 5 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** i’m A biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I would like to try to help, but the link to your picture doesn’t seem to work. If you have it on a phone, perhaps you could try uploading it here. Click on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions will pop up.Thank you.
i attched the photos
EF8795F6-0484-4A88-BA3B...jpegEF8795...jpeg80D0C309-95E3-43AA-B9B2...jpeg80D0C3...jpeg4BAF661E-D8BF-4DE3-B28D...jpeg4BAF66...jpeg52DAD3C0-4A54-4870-8030...jpeg52DAD3...jpeg193B2B58-E090-4888-BFCF...jpeg193B2B...jpeg5BAFD6C1-4D68-4769-ACA4...jpeg5BAFD6...jpeg
Thank you. I’ll look at them now, and then I may need a little more information from you. I’ll be right back.
His skin and she’ll do not look healthy. Some additional information may help me determine the best steps for you to take.What brand of UVB light do you have?What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and in the water?Do you provide a calcium supplement?Does this turtle have a good appetite?If you rub the shell, does the brown substance cone off on your hands?Thank you.
i have extro terra 25W light
i keep an 84 ish temperature in the water using a heater
i put in REPTISAFE water conditioner, API turtle fix, and API sludge destroyer
i feed them repto mini food sticks with calcium and vitamin C .. not sure about the appetite because i have 3 so i dont keep watch
if i rub the shell it doesnt really come off that much. i think its only because hes in the water covered by it

Thank you. I'm working on your answer now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I'm not a fast typist, so I'll appreciate your patience.

Thank you for waiting.

I suspect you got your information on care from a pet store. Most people do. While we should be able to rely on such information, unfortunately, it is often wrong. They sell people the wrong lighting, advise the wrong foods, and often don't know the correct temperatures for the various reptiles. After weeks or months of things not being quite right, the animal develops problems. Some of what you have been told is wrong.Even though you have obviously been trying so hard to keep them healthy, when you didn't have correct information to begin with, things are going wrong.

There is more than one problem with this turtle. I suspect he has a shell infection. That accounts for the brown substance. It may be bacterial, fungal or algal. I'll give you a treatment that helps with any of these.

The most effective method involves what is called 'dry-docking.' You'll need to prepare a 'hospital' for the affected turtle. A large plastic tote works well. It should be equipped with a basking area at 90*F and a UVB light. The turtle will be kept warm and dry, except for a 30 minute bath twice a day. The two baths are very important to prevent dehydration. Feed during the bath. After each soak, scrub the shell with a clean toothbrush with Betadine (available in drug stores) on it, but try not to get it on the skin, and especially avoid the eyes. Do this twice a day. Follow that with a coating of anti-fungal cream (the kind sold for women to use to treat yeast infections). You should put the anti- fungal cream on the shell, and also on any skin that seems to be affected. If the problem doesn't clear up within two weeks, you'll need to have your turtle examined by a reptile vet.

I'll post this much for you now, and will be back shortly with the rest.

thank you

The turtle's shell also shows what is called 'pyramiding.' Notice how each section of her shell seems to protrude. That is not normal shell development. A normal shell is smooth. I've attached a picture of a slider with a normal shell for you to compare.

Pyramiding is often the result of Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). MBD is caused by lack of UVB light and/or calcium. Unfortunately, the ExoTerra bulb you were sold doesn't provide UVB light. If your other turtles don't have shell problems now, they will eventually develop abnormal shells without this light.

It's extremely important that you buy an additional light that truly produces UVB rays. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand that does. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, daylight, UV, and UVA are NOT the same thing. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. MBD causes a very slow and painful death. UVB bulbs must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out the UVB rays. The turtles also need a calcium source. The best way to provide it is to place a cuttlebone in their tank. The turtles will consume what they need. Cuttlebones are sold in the bird departments of pet stores. They are inexpensive.

Because there is so much misinformation available both online and from pet stores, I’m also including a care sheet I’ve written for slider turtles in case you've been given other misinformation. It takes months to years before incorrect conditions result in health problems, so even a turtle that has seemed to do well, will eventually become ill. You can use the care sheet as a checklist to make sure everything is right. The information I gave you on UVB comes from the care sheet. If you have more questions, let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope your turtle will soon be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

SLIDER TURTLE CARE SHEET

Well-cared for sliders can live 30 years or more.

The Tank

It's recommended that a baby slider have at least a 15 gallon tank. By the time the turtle is 3-4 years old, it will need a 60 gallon tank, so it's best to get the biggest you can in the beginning. You can also use a large RubberMaid tote. That's not as pretty as a tank, but costs a lot less. Set up the tank so there's a land area and a water area. Put the basking light at one end so the whole tank doesn’t get too hot. You want the water to be about twice as deep as the turtle is long. If the turtle is two inches long, you'll want four inches of water.

Temperatures and Basking Area

Turtles need certain types of lighting and need to be warm. Air and water that are not warm enough can lead to fungal and respiratory infections and unhealthy shells. Turtles must have a basking area where they can get out of the water, dry off, and bask in very warm light. The ambient air temperature in the tank should be around 75 *F (24*C) , with the basking area warmer still. Over the basking area there should be some sort of lamp that will take a 40-60 watt incandescent bulb (or you can buy a ceramic light fixture made just for reptiles). If you live in an area that has farm stores, you can buy a metal light fixture made to keep baby chicks warm for just a few dollars. Don't buy the accompanying bulb, however. You need an ordinary incandescent bulb in the basking light. Hardware stores sell similar fixtures as work lights. The basking area should be kept at 85-90*F (29 to 32*C). Use a digital probe thermometer to be sure. You can adjust the temperature by raising or lowering the light fixture.The lights that come with the covers on aquariums are not suitable for turtles. You'll also need a submersible aquarium heater that will keep the water 78-82*F (26 to 28*C).

UVB Light

Turtles also need an additional light that produces UVB rays. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand that does. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, SunGlo, UV, or UVA are not the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to your turtle's health. Without this light, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will develop because your turtle won't be able to produce vitamin D. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. MBD causes a very slow and painful death.UVB bulbs must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out most of the rays turtles need to stay healthy. To prevent MBD, turtles also need calcium. The easiest way to provide it is to place a cuttlebone in the tank. Cuttlebones are sold in bird departments of pet stores.

Filtration

Turtles are very sensitive to water quality. Even if you change the water every day, it can still contain harmful chemicals. A good filtration system is essential. Water changes are also needed even with a filter. If the tank is too small, no filter can keep up with the amount of waste that turtles produce.

Feeding

Feeding is an area where pet stores often give out bad information. Commercial food should make up only 1/4 of the diet. Animal products (cooked meat, earthworms, canned cat food) should make up another 1/4. The remaining half should be plant foods (dark lettuce like romaine, bits of strawberry or melon, etc.). Hatchlings should be fed every day. Older turtles should be fed 3 times per week. Overfeeding can lead to gout and kidney failure.

For Further Reading

This is among the most reputable sites on turtles.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

thank you so much

You're very welcome!

Hi Zuzanna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist