Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My new turtle red ear slider wont / hasn't eaten, doesn't…

My new turtle red...

My new turtle red ear slider wont / hasn't eaten , doesn't really move much and now this am was up side down floating and when I went to pick him up I was surprised to see he was alive . put him on his rock . I did try and put some food into his mouth a couple days ago . he wont open his eyes either . We just got him about 2 weeks ago and he has both lights and water filtration . we have a 50 gal talnk with guppies and a log and rock . very nice setup . don't know what's up. I called the pet store last week and they said he was depressed /getting used to the new environment .

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the turtle will be able to digest that. What is the turtle's name?

Franklein

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Franklein?

Water temp 78 has night light for heat . overall he should be great

11/2/2017
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear your new turtle is having trouble. He is not depressed or getting used to a new environment. That's something the pet store made up because they didn't know what to tell you. The truth is that pet store employees know very little about reptiles. Tens of thousands of reptile pets die every year because of the misinformation they give out. Franklein is sick. Some additional information will help me determine what is going on and what steps you can take.Have you noticed any bubbles from his nose or mouth?Since you got him, has he done a lot of yawning at any point?What is the temperature on his basking log?What is the brand of your UVB light? This would be a separate light from the basking light or night light.Thank you.
I did notice a few bubbles early on. first couple days from his nose not his mouth . I havent seen any yawning at all . His basking log is 86 deg F. Its a big spot , i was told to give him space so he could regulate his temp with the light so the thermometer is in center of light . He has a reptosun 5.0 uvb .
Thank you for ur help
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Thank you for waiting. Your water and basking area temps are perfect. The 59 gallon tank with filtration is great, too. Often when a new turtle won't eat and becomes lethargic, we find it is because temps are too low. That is definitely not the case here. I believe you were sold a sick turtle. While there's no way to be certain based only on an online description, it does sound like Franklein is suffering from a respiratory infection. He was probably infected at the time you bought him, and moving to a new environment put enough stress on his immune system to allow the bacteria to gain a foothold. The bubbles you saw at first were an early symptom. As the illness progresses, symptoms like appetite loss and lethargy develop. Finding him floating on his back probably means the infection has spread to his lungs - pneumonia. The lungs fill with fluid, making normal swimming impossible. A turtle may list to one side, float sideways, or float upside down. There is no home treatment for such infections. If you hope to save Franklein, he will need to be seen by a reptile vet. The vet can prescribe a safe prescription antibiotic, such as Baytril. This is often given by injection, but sometimes orally. This site has a directory of reptile vets:http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlistSince you have already provided proper temperatures and filtration, there isn't anything else you can do on your own. The turtle 'remedies' sold in pet stores are completely ineffective, and only allow illnesses to progress, delaying real help.There are two things I suggest changing in Franklein's habitat, but I don't think they are related to his present illness. They can cause problems in the future. I would remove the guppies. Fish can carry bacteria that don't affect them, but can make turtles sick. It's true that wild turtles live with fish, but they have developed immunity over hundreds of years. We also have no way of knowing how many wild turtles get sick and die.The other is your UVB light. The Reptisun lights are among the best, ***** ***** 5.0 output is not enough for a turtle. Turtles need lights with a 10% UVB output. I recommend the 10.0. With only a 5% output, over time Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will develop. UVB lights are only good for about 6 months. They do continue to emit visible light for years, but not UVB, which we cannot see. As week's pass, less UVB is emitted, until after 6 months, a light that had a 10% output may only be emitting 1/4 of what it did to begin with. The 5% output bulbs decline even faster. I would keep it for 3 months at the most, then replace it with the 10.0. I don't know if the pet store let you know that calcium needs to be provided. That's the thing necessary to prevent MBD. The easiest way to give it to a turtle is to place a cuttlebone in the tank. Cuttlebones are sold in bird departments of pet stores and are inexpensive. Turtle will ingest how much they need.Until you can get to a vet, you might want to take Franklein out of the tank. If he ends up floating upside down, he could drown or cause damage to internal organs. To prevent dehydration, he would need to be placed in water for 30 minutes twice per day, but be sure to supervise closely. Depending on his size, you could place him in a RubberMaid tote or a dishpan with his basking light providing proper temps.If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope you can quickly find a vet, and Franklein will reach a full recovery.Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna
Hello thank you for following up . I did remove him from the big tank and put him in a little 10 gal with in his rock . I also have been setting him a dish with a little water 2x a day wich is helping his eyes .and hydration . I noticed some film that sofened so i gently wiped with qtip and removed some film. His eyes are finally open and he is responding . I also have made a little slurry with his food and used a baby syinge and put some in his mouth couple time a day . he seems to be doing better by being a little more active . Hes not 100% by any means but he is doing better . Tha ks for your suggestions and help . :)
Hello again. I'm glad to hear Franklein seems to be doing a little better. I hope he'll continue to improve. Thank you for the update.