Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

Just found my turtle stuck to my pond suction no idea how

Customer Question
pipe came apart insides sucked...
Just found my turtle stuck to my pond suction no idea how pipe came apart insides sucked out of tail but still attached ..will they retract back in or is he as good as dead
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Reptile
10/29/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 1 month ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Depending as to wat part was sucked in the turtle may be ok. Male turtles will fan, which is a Male turtles way of masturbating. If it was his penis or hemi penis that you had seen prolapsed he can survive. If the issue was a portion of his intestinal tract then it could be moer serious. I suggest the turtle be kept inside in a smaller enclosure where the turtle can be monitored and taken to a Herp Vet if needed. I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a State or country.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's pretty much what I guessed I'll check on him hopefully he is ok

If you need a Herp Vet please let me know. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Whatever it is it still has not retracted back into the turtle it was hard like an erection and now it's soft but it is still hanging outside of him.. is it worth taking a picture and it is that ability here

Which ever it is would be considered Prolapsed. In a case like this the Vet would have to tack back in place. You can post a picture by taking the picture and putting in your files on the computer and use the paper clip icon in the tool bar to upload from the computer.

Joan

I looked at the picture but is is too dark to make up what I am looking at. As I said in either case the organs would need to be replced and tacked in place. I wish there was some better news, but the turtle with care should survive.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK where do I go my zip code is 92128San diego, CA

Here are lists of Herp Vets for your Area:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califs.html

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/calif.shtml

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

How is the turtle doing? I wanted to check in.

Joan

Hi Ron,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician