Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

I have a baby veiled chameleon that I just brought home

I have a baby...

I have a baby veiled chameleon that I just brought home yesterday, I am concerned because she will not open her eyes and I don't know why. She cannot see the small cricket and she seems to be reaching out to find branches that are not there. Thank you!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the baby?

She seems pretty happy and is moving. I keep her misted but it is time for her to eat and it is going to be hard to get her to eat if she cannot see.

10/22/2017
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

Fill pectrum basking light?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps in enclosure and basking area?

Automister?

Joan

Hi Joan. I am John. My mom is helping me.The enclosure is new. It is 16 x 16 x 30. Screen.The UV bulb is Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB 26 watt. It is new.Daylight blue basking bulb.Small crickets but she hasn't eaten yet this morning.Calcium and vitamin supplements dusted on food.Enclosure is 70 degrees and basking is 95 degrees.I don't have auto mister yet. I use a spray bottle.Thanks,

Thank you! The only thing that needs to be changed is the Basking bulb should be a full spectrum white basking spotlight. The Blue bulb is for night time use.

How oftern are you misting? Dehydration can cause them not to open eyes.

How long have you had this chameleon?

Is there any swelling in the eyes?

Joan

I just got her yesterday afternoon. Her left was open and her right was open. Now they are both closed.I mist her once a hour trying to keep her hydrated.No swelling.I will get a new basking light.Thank you.
She will not eat or drink because she can't see

To be honest I am concerned this particular Chameleon is ill. Eyes closed during the day is not normal, Your set up is good. The reason for my concerns are based on Chameleons like most reptiles are prey animals. They hide illness well, until they can no longer hide it. The first sign of illness is keeping the eyes closed.

A healthy Chameleon would have the eyes open looking for food. YOur set up is great. Coming from a Pet shop the animals are not always cared for the best and signs of illness are often missed.

Since you have had her only one Day I would see if you can exchange her or have them take to a Herp Vet for an exam.

Normally they will take a few days to setgle in, but the eyes are open.

Stress is a big factor with Chameleons and the transfer from the stor to you may have been too much for her.

I am being honest with you since I can tell you are already loving her and I would hate to see you loose her.

Joan

Thank you so much Joan. We will take her to the pet store this morning. Most of the vets are closed. I am so worried about her. Is there anything else I should do now before we go or ask them? Thanks, John

You can try a warm soak for her and see if she responds. To feed we can try some baby food chicken and mix with a pinch of calcium and drop on her snout and see if she will lick it off.

They may tell you at the pet shop to giver her some time to settle in. Which we normally do for an alert Chameleon, but she is not alert and eyes closed, so something is wrong. Most health chameleons would explore their surrounding as they adjust.

Let me know if she resonds to the soak. If she does perk up then try the feeding.

Joan

We will try it. Thank You

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
When we put her in she tensed up but then opened her eyes. But right after that she closed them. We did it again and she only opened her left eye. We tried to feed her but she wouldn't eat.
Thanks

I believe she is ill and needs to go back and get a different chameleon. she should have responded.

Joan

She was moving a lot and did open eyes for a brief second.

It is your shoice if you want to give it today to see if she perks up and take her in tomorrow, but if she does not perk up I would not wait longer than tomorrow.

Joan

We are taking her today.

Hopefully she will perk up and respond and there will e no need. I am just really concerned.

Joan

We have taken her to the pet store they are taking some of their animals and she will go with.
Thank you so much!

I am glad she needs to be checked out.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Hi Joan,
Thank you so much for following up. I want to let you know that on Sunday we did return our baby Chameleon and on Monday the pet store took her to the vet. The vet said she was OK but was in need of more nourishment. So the pet store people started feeding her fruit flies since the baby crickets were probably too big for her. We asked about her eyes being open and the pet store people said that they were basically still slits. Sadly, we received a call this afternoon that she died. So, it seems that she really wasn't healthy like you said. We are thankful for all of your advice and support. We look forward to welcoming a new Chameleon to our home in a couple weeks. Thank you again for your help and kindness. John

So sorry for the loss. The Vet the pet store uses is not a Reptile Specialist. When you get another I suggest having it seen immediately by a specialist. I can locate some for you with a State. As I said Pet shops do not necessarily know about the reptiles. Their job is to sell and not care.

My condolences for the loss.

Joan

Hi Joan,
Thank you for your nice note and advice. We will be purchasing the next one in Missoula, MT.
Thanks,
Heather

Hopes for a nice healthy new baby.

Herp Vets in MT http://www.anapsid.org/vets/montana.html

Joan

Thank you!
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician