Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My sons 9 month old Leopard gecko suddenly wont eat. it's

Hi Pearl. My sons 9...
Hi Pearl. My sons 9 month old Leopard gecko suddenly wont eat. it's been about 3-4 days since hes taken anything, including mealworms, which he'll always eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Leopard gecko's name?
Customer: he's otherwise healthy, maybe lost a touch of weight these past couple days Nibs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Leopard gecko?
Customer: he eats mostly medium dusted crickets as his main food. has plenty of water cool side of cage is in the upper 70's. warm side about 90
10/20/2017
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for 40+ years.

Can you tell me what substrate you use?

Supplements?

Heat source?

When was last shed?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the substrate is not loose. It is a smooth black shelf liner that i cut to fit the cage. I wash it every time i clean the cage, and it seems to work pretty well.the only supplememnts I use are the calcium dusting on the crickets that are his main diet. the crickets are gut loaded with potatoe and/or carrots and are kept watered.the heat source is a 60 watt bright bulb in day and 60 watt heat bulb at night. temps are 75 on cool side of cage and about 90 on warm side (with heat pads under the cage.he last shed about 8 days ago, and he usually doesnt eat the next day due to consuming his shed skin
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i also feed him 4-5 meals worms about once or twice a week as a treat. he always goes for them, but not tonight even after not eating the last 3 days
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have read that his appetite will decrease as winter approaches (it has started to get colder here in colorado - mid fall.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Joan, am I still on with you?

The temps are a bit warm the whole tank should not be above 88 ambient temp. The Geckos do not do well with overhead lighting. Just under the tank heaters are best for them.

This does not sound like torpor where the appetite decreases. This sounds more like an issue with Parasites or eating prey that may have been too big.

The gecko should also have a dish of plain clacium in the tank at all times. Tis is very important.

Lets try a warm soak for about 10 mins to hydrate him. Once tat is done pat dry and we are goung to do some emergency feeding. Please mix some stage one baby food with a pinch of clacium and drop on the snout and allow him to lick this off. You can repeat several time and do it several times a day. Hopefully tis will jumpstart the appetite.

If You do not have a Herp Vet please supplty a state and we can locate some for you.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. I do have a herp vet that I looked up today just in case. They are in the next town over and seem to have good reptile experience from colorado state vet school. I'll call them tomorrow. In the meantime I'll follow your directions for the warm bath and baby food/calcium. Thank you for your advice.

You are so welcome. Crickets can carry parasites and transferred to the gecko. That is a common issues with feeder insects. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. One last quick question - should the stage 1 baby food be a particular type of fruit or vegetable?

Oh Sorry I thought I wrote Chicken or Beef works the best since they are carnivores. I would reduce the light because if too warm or too cold they will shut down eating.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
great. thanks again. take care.
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician