Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I think she's dead. 😥😥 Red eared slider. My son came home…

I think she's dead...

I think she's dead. 😥😥

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Red eared slider

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the slider?

My son came home and she's not moving. She's on her rocks (baking area) and her head is out

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the slider. What is the slider's name and age?

Get name is chell

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the slider?

We just got her a week and a half ago but she's about 5" the shell

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the slider's name?

Chell My son is distraught

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/18/2017
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 4o years.

Can you please take Chell and give her a soak in some warm water and see if she responds. I would alos like you to pinch her back foot to see if reflex pain reaction.

I also need to know if you have a UVB bulb, age of the bulb, linear tuve or compact coil and strength?

Diet?

Supplements?

Water temp and basking temp?

Joan

How much water should she be in? Should she be completely submerged?

We need to support her in a shallow warm soak. This will hydrate her if that is the problem. The pressing on the back foot will also tell us if she has a pain reaction. The reason I asked the questions is to determine if there is a husbandry issue that could have affected her and cause some illness.

Joan

No response

If we are no gettinga pain response and she is flaccid I think you are correct she is gone. Unfortunately Turtles are predispossed to certain issues like Metabolic Bone Disease and Kidney Failure. Diet and Husbandry play a massive part in longevity of a turtle. They can also get Respiratory infections. How long have you had her and we she ordered from Fl in the Mail? There is a company in Fl that sells turtles and we see many of them ill when recieved and passing.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
We've only had her about a week and a half and I got her at the pet store near my house. They had baby turtles too but I thought an older Turtle a bigger Turtle would be a little stronger but I guess I was wrong. My son is inconsolable. I don't know what to do. thank you for all your help

Let me ask do you have a UVB light?

Filtration?

Type of diet?

Supplements?

Wate temps and Basking temp?

I am sure the turtles was ill when you got him. Turtles are prey animals and hide illness until too late to help them. If you answer the questions I can see if I can correct any issues so you can try again.

Joan

We have a ceramic heat bulb. Don't know the temps tho. We fed her the pellets the pet store gave us, greens, romaine, spinach, shredded apples and diced strawberries and live fish in her 50 gal tank. They didn't tell me she needed supplements...

The turtle needed two types of lights. A UVB is most important because it works with a calcium supplement to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. The UVB also controls appetite as well as activity. They also need e Basking spotlight for warmth. The heat emitter is for night if the temps drop below 72. The diet should be 50% eaft greens or aquatic plants: No spinach or Kale they bind calcium. The rest of the diet is 25% pellets and 25% live prey.

I suggest a Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb and they do need changing every 6 months. The water temp should be 78 and the basking temperature should be 90 under the white basking spotlight.

Calcium should be on all food 5 days a week and a Vitamins twice a week. The information you had gotten for care is poor at best. I can send a care sheet if you would like it. Just let me know.

If you get get another turtle all the errors need to be fixed to be sure the turtle thrives.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

SLIDER TURTLE CARE SHEET

Well-cared for sliders can live 30 years or more.

The Tank

It's recommended that a baby slider have at least a 15 gallon tank. By the time the turtle is 3-4 years old, it will need a 60 gallon tank, so it's best to get the biggest you can in the beginning. You can also use a large RubberMaid tote. That's not as pretty as a tank, but costs a lot less. Set up the tank so there's a land area and a water area. Put the basking light at one end so the whole tank doesn’t get too hot. You want the water to be about twice as deep as the turtle is long. If the turtle is two inches long, you'll want four inches of water.

Temperatures and Basking Area

Turtles need certain types of lighting and need to be warm. Air and water that are not warm enough can lead to fungal and respiratory infections and unhealthy shells. Turtles must have a basking area where they can get out of the water, dry off, and bask in very warm light. The ambient air temperature in the tank should be around 75 *F (24*C) , with the basking area warmer still. Over the basking area there should be some sort of lamp that will take a 40-60 watt incandescent bulb (or you can buy a ceramic light fixture made just for reptiles). If you live in an area that has farm stores, you can buy a metal light fixture made to keep baby chicks warm for just a few dollars. Don't buy the accompanying bulb, however. You need an ordinary incandescent bulb in the basking light. Hardware stores sell similar fixtures as work lights. The basking area should be kept at 85-90*F (29 to 32*C). Use a digital probe thermometer to be sure. You can adjust the temperature by raising or lowering the light fixture.The lights that come with the covers on aquariums are not suitable for turtles. You'll also need a submersible aquarium heater that will keep the water 78-82*F (26 to 28*C).

UVB Light

It's extremely important that you buy an additional light that produces UVB rays. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand that does. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, sunGlo, UV, or UVA are not the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to your turtle's health. Without this light, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will develop because your turtle won't be able to produce vitamin D. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. MBD causes a very slow and painful death.UVB bulbs must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out most of the rays turtles need to stay healthy. To prevent MBD, turtles also need calcium. The easiest way to provide it is to place a cuttlebone in the tank. Cuttlebones are sold in bird departments of pet stores.

Filtration

Turtles are very sensitive to water quality. Even if you change the water every day, it can still contain harmful chemicals. A good filtration system is essential. Water changes are also needed even with a filter. If the tank is too small, no filter can keep up with the amount of waste that turtles produce.

Feeding

Feeding is an area where pet stores often give out bad information. Commercial food should make up only 1/4 of the diet. Animal products (cooked meat, earthworms, canned cat food) should make up another 1/4. The remaining half should be plant foods (dark lettuce like romaine, bits of strawberry or melon, etc.). Hatchlings should be fed every day. Older turtles should be fed 3 times per week. Overfeeding can lead to gout and kidney failure.

For Further Reading

This is among the most reputable sites on turtles.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-yellowbelly.htm

Joan