Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have a sluggish chameleon. Blue. almost 2 years old. Her…

Hi i have a...

Hi i have a sluggish chameleon

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the chameleon. What is the chameleon's name and age?

Blue. almost 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the chameleon's name?

Her name is blue

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Blue?

No, just acting very sluggish today. she's usually grumpy when i try to feed her, sassy even, but today incredible docile. i gave her water thru a dropper..... and she drank... but is incredibly lethargic

10/15/2017
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a et tech for 35+ years and have worked with reptiles for over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

Basking spotlight?

Diet?

Supplements?

Automister?

Temps in enclosure and basking area?

Joan

Something happened with the call, but I can try to assist you here. Do you know the strengeth of the UVB?
Do you know the temperature of the basking area and the air temperature in the enclosure?

These are important to determining what may be going on.

Joan

Unsure about uv strength. It's about a year old. The temps to Southern California have been warm, between 67 and 80 daily

The UVB needs to be changed as soon as Possible UVB lights only last 6 months with producing UVB rays. They will sill give light, just no UVB. This can adversely affect the chameleon because it can no longer absorb the calcium in the body which is turned into D3 in the body by the UVB light. I suggest a Reptisun 10.0 bulb preferably would be a linear tube inside the enclosure. The UVB cor lack of can cause lethargy and lack of appetite. You also should have an auto mister for hydration. Chameleons can dehydrrate without one.

the ambident temp in the enclosure should be about 78 air temp, but the basking area under a basking spotlight should be 90.

What I would like to do is a soal in 50/50 Pedialyte and warm water and add some calcium(plain) into the soak and hydrate him. After the soak rinse with clear water pat Dry and get her under the UVB bulb and basking bulb. The UVB light is even more important being she is female and can produce eggs.

I suggest if you can get the UVB today you do so. I am hoping she will perk up with that and an automister.

If she does not a Herp Vet will be needed to check her out hands on. If you do not have one please let me know if No or So Ca.

Joan

Can we talk on phone. We're soaking her now

I would love to do a Phone call, but the site charges for it and the site will not allow the call to go though without that payment. I tried to put it through and would not go.

Joan

ok i updated. hope it works

I cannot get it to go through. Can you try requesting it again from your end?

Joan

Hmmm let me try another card. Amex is now sending fraud protection alerts.

So sorry, this is the site that controls the finances. All I do is answer the questions.

How is Blue since the soak? The main issue is the UVB light is not working. I feel once we have the UVB light I think we will see a Difference.

Joan

Thank u for your patience. We soaked her for 20 mins and now have her under a new uv. It is night soon. Should I keep the uv on her all night you think?

She needs to sleep tonight, but tomorrow give her 14 hours of UVB. She should start responding If she does not respond to the new UVB, then she will need to see the Vet. It is possible she may have MBD from not having the UVB for over 6 months. If you tell me No or So Ca, I can locate a Herp Vet for you.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

How is your Chameleon? I wanted to check in on her. She does need to see a Herp Vet today. Please let me know.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician