Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I went to work this afternoon and apparently while I was…

Hi, So I went to work...
So I went to work this afternoon and apparently while I was gone My 21 inch 7 month old ball python got out and was attacked by my cat. I found him as soon as i got home and placed him in a tub whith paper towel his heat mat and water and hide. He was active and non aggressive as soon as i warmed him up and put him away, but he has multiple shallow bite marks on his back and two worrying lacerations on the back of the neck one isn't deep but cleanly skinned the scales back from the muscle, and the other is seemingly deeper but he shows no signs of pain like with the other injury. Hes not bleeding that i can see other than the blood from the original attack.The soonest I can get him to the vet is monday. Do i attempt to wash away the blood/soak him? Is there something I can treat him whith? And where the scales are skinned(its the scales like a flap hanging from his neck), can it be fixed or will it most likely be removed? And most of all can snakes die shock from such wounds? He seems fine now and I dont know how long he was out for i was gone 7 hrs max, but he generally gets up around 6 or later DX. Thanks so much, any advice is wonderfull!
10/15/2017
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

First thing we need to do is clean the wounds with Diluted Betadine and warm water disluted to a dark tea color. Once that is done, Apply some Nesporin to the wounds. He will need to see a Herp Vet. Cats carry a lot of bacteria on claws and in the mouth. This will cause abscesses. The Herp Vet will start Antibiotics to help save an abscess and Infection issue.

If you supply a State I can lcoate some Herp Vets for you. If Ca please state No or So.

Joan

Thank you! I Live in Anacortes Wa.

Thank you These are Herp Vets in WA:

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/washing.shtml

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/washington.html

The Vet will have to determine how to handle the flap that is open. It all depends on the situation when they see it.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my serice 5 stars. I am not compensated by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Thank you again, and will do!