Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

I got 3 african dwarf frogs Saturday night (so five days

ago) and while one of...
I got 3 african dwarf frogs Saturday night (so five days ago) and while one of them is swimming around a bit and eating the food I give him, the other two aren't. They don't move at all during the day and only crawl around a little bit at night (I turned the lights off and watched them for quite a few hours). They share the tank with some ghost shrimp and guppies which I keep away from my frogs during feeding but they still haven't eaten even when I dangle thawed bloodworms right in front of their faces or leave the bloodworms on a terra cotta plate in the tank. I'm really worried about them and I'm not sure why they're not eating, can it really take this long for them to get used to a new tank or is it something more serious? I've also tried frozen brine shrimp and frog pellets but they weren't interested.
10/13/2017
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for 40+ years.

How big is your tank?

Have you checked the water parameters?

What is the Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and Ph?

What type of test kit do you use?

Joan

My tank is 10 gallons. It's not cycled (looking back I know I made a mistake with this aspect but I've been doing my best to keep good water parameters by doing water changes frequently and testing water every day) so nitrates are at 0, nitrites are also at 0 and I had ammonia at 0.25 this morning but I added seachem prime to neutralize it. I use the API water testing kit so I don't know how much free ammonia there is in the tank as this kit can only measure total ammonia regardless of if it's free or bound. pH has been a consistent 7.5 and temperature is also a consistent 78F.

Your water parameters are off if you have ,25 Ammonia you should also be showing Nitrates and Nitrites. Something was wrong when you tested.

The Ammonia needs to be 0 and most likely that is what is affecting the frogs.

The tank is very small for the Frogs alone they should have a minimum 20 gallon tanks. I would get some nitrifying bacteria and try and get the cycle going and get the Ammonia down. The PH needs to come down to 7.0and that will resolve when you can correct the water parameters.

Right now I would use bottled spring water and do partial 25% water changes each day. The foods you are feeding are adding to throwing off the cyclinging becuase it is adding debris to the tank.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

I tested multiple times every day ever since I got my frogs and every time I got the same results, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates even if there was some ammonia. I've also been adding API Quickstart to the tank but so far I don't think it's been making a difference. I do have a cycled betta tank so I was thinking I'd take part of his filter and put it in my frogs' tank to help establish the bacteria there. Regarding pH, I've read on multiple other sites that it was within the acceptable range for the frogs and also that within that range as long as it's stable they should adapt to it, as well as that changing the pH with buffers makes it extremely unstable; also, I read that 10 gallons is enough - is everything I've read wrong? I've also been doing about 50% water changes every day.

Never use buffers for PH. Once the Amoania is stabilized the PH whill come back to neurtal. 7.0/ 50% is too much water to change and restarts the cycle. Never do more than 35% and I only suggest 25% at a change. If you can stabilize the tank the Frogs should start to eat, but as long as you are feeding blood worms and other foods that too will add to the Ammonia spikes.

Joan

Ok I'll stay away from buffers and go back to doing 25% changes - how frequently could I do them? I only started doing 50% because I thought 25% changes wouldn't be enough to bring down the ammonia levels so should I do 25% changes more frequently or stick to once a day/less than once a day? I've also been removing uneaten food after half an hour before they decompose to try and help keep ammonia levels down.

The water changes once a day unless extermely high ammonia levels. It is a matter of time. when doing 50% you were upsetting the cycling. If you have cycled water it will help to add to the tank.

If I have addressed your concerns, Please take amoment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not compensated by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician