Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have 2 baby eastern musk turtles... Upon the

Customer Question
I have 2 baby...

I have 2 baby eastern musk turtles...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the baby?

Upon the recommendation of the vendor where i purchased them, I gave them a 20-minute soak in sea salt water

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the baby seem to hurt?

They both reacted a bit frantically when they hit the sea salt water, but i left them in for 20 mins. now they're back in their regular habitat and both are very lethargic

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the baby. What is the baby's name and age?

Sev is the baby boy, and Leah is the baby girl - both just about 6 weeks old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the baby's name?

See just above - Sev & Leah

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the baby?

2 babies, same conditions, no other details. Thanks.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Reptile
10/4/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

Can you tell me about tank set up?

Did you get te turtles through the mail or from a Pet shop?

Are the wild caught or domestically bred?

Are they swimming at all?

Is your water conditioned?

Joan

The turtles were purchase from myturtlestore.com, and that tank setup is fine. My question specifically relates to my turtles' behavior when I introduced them to 20 minutes of soaking in warm salt water (they were frantic when they entered), and when I took them out of the water and reintroduced them to their tank (they were very lethargic). They are swimming OK in their conditioned water. Again, I'm asking about their behaviors related to the salt water soak. Thanks.

I suepected that from when you said you had just gotten them. Is that the Mail order store in Fl if I am not Mistaken?

Joan

but I've had these turtles and they've been healthy for about 6 weeks. I'm still seeking an answer to my question about the salt water soak.

The company has a very bad reputation for selling sick turtles. They should never have been soaked in Salt water They are fresh water turtles and not brackish water and I have no clue as to why they would have suggested that. Whe new turtles are recieved we suggest a nice soak in warm water or in a 50/50 pedialyte and warm water. I suggest the have the Pedialyte soak now to help hydrate and to supply some electrolytes.

They should have a UVB light ie Reptisun 10.0 as well as a basking light although these turtles are not real baskers. They require pellet and live prey like earth worms and snails as their diet and need a good calcium supplement to prevet Metabolic Bone Disease. The UVB Metabolized the calcium in the body.

I supect the saline may have burned the skin and eyes causing them to be frantic and stressed.

If they continue to be lethargic I have to recommend a Herp Vet visit to see if there is something going on.

Joan

OK thank you. I'll discontinue the salt soak (and discontinue taking the advice of that company).

Let me give you a link for information on care of these turtles. This is comprehensive and goes over the proper set up diet and supplements:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-stinkpot.htm

This is reports and complaints about the place where you bought the turtles:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/my-turtle-store/internet/my-turtle-store-myturtle-storecom-dont-stand-behind-their-products-new-port-richy-florid-1258419

Please let me know if I can further assist you. My goal is to give up to date and accurate information to help care for the turtles.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician