My chameleon is constipated she have not had a bowel movement in almost 2weeks and now have not ate since this past

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My chameleon is constipated she have not had a bowel movement
in almost 2weeks and now have not ate since this past Sunday
Answered by Anna in 17 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.How old is your chameleon?What does she normally eat?What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?What brand of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?Thank you.
Customer
Tango is 6 month old
crickets and meal worms is what she usually ea80 degrees for the basking light and regular house temperature for the coolRepti Sun is the brand have had it for 6months now
Thank you for getting back to me. I just saw that you had requested a phone call. Did you actually want one? Sometimes JustAnswer has an automated response that says that.
Customer
no phone call
OK. I'll go ahead and give you some information. You were on the right track with soaks, but we can make them better. Get some Pedialyte ( yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half Pedialyte and half water. Soak Tango for 20 minutes, but after the first ten minutes, with her still in the water, massage her underside from front to vent (where droppings pass out) for the next ten minutes. An additional step you can take before the soak is to drop a small dollop of prune baby food right on the end of her snout. Most if the time, reflexes will cause them to lick it off. If she does, wait about 45 minutes before starting the bath.I'll give you this much now, but I'll be back with more as soon as I have it typed up.

Before I go on, is Tango a veiled chameleon, or is she some other type?

Customer
thank you I will wait on more information from you
you are so much help

Since veiled chameleons are most popular, I'm going to give you information assuming Tango is a veiled. If she is another type, let me know because the temperature information may be different.

Another factor in this may be temperature. Chameleons are adaptable to temperature extremes in their wild habitat, but there they can move around to find warmer or cooler spots. In a cage they have no choice. After months of being too cold, the digestive system becomes sluggish. Illness can even devlope. The coldest part of the cage should be 82.5*F. There should be a warm basking area that is kept at 89*F to 113*F. That sounds hot to us, but to a chameleon, it is just right. At night the temperature can be allowed to drop to 72*F to 79*F. Use a good digital probe thermometer to measure the temperature. You can adjust the temperature by raising or lowering the fixture or by changing the bulb to one with higher or lower wattage. If you have to lower the fixture, don't put it so low that yTango can touch it and be burned.

Insufficient fiber can also cause constipation.Chameleons need plant foods. One of the easiest ways to provide them is to grow live plants in the cage. Live plants also keep the humidity level up. This site has lists of safe and unsafe plants:

http://www.anapsid.org/resources/plants2.html

You can also feed collard greens and other purchased greens. This site has great information on what vegetables to feed, and how often:

http://www.repticzone.com/articles/lettuceandleavesstaples.html

Your UVB light is due to be replaced. Regardless of what the box might say, the lights stop emitting adequate UVB light (which we can't see) after 6 months. They continue to give off visible light for years, so they look fine to us. This isn't a factor in the present problem, but replacing the light will prevent future problems.

If you get Tango warmed up and try the first aid measures for constipation I gave you, but she still doesn't have a bowel movement, it would be best to make an appointment with a reptile vet. She may have a blockage. If you end up needing a vet, this link will take you to a directory of vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I hope warmer temepratures and the first aid measures will take care of the problem.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Customer
THANK YOU
you have been most helpful and we will try these steps and pray for the best of outcome
You're very welcome. I wish you success with Tango.
Read less
unlike
1 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.