I have a veiled chameleon thats a little over a year old now and he has always ate really good and been active 2 days

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a veiled chameleon thats a little over a year old now and he has always ate really good and been active 2 days ago he started hanging from his right back foot upside down i lifted him up to put him back on his vine and then next time i saw him he fell off his vine now he wont eat and will only drink when i give him water and he wont hardly move
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the chameleon will be able to digest that. What is the chameleon's name?
Customer: Frank
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Frank?
Customer: he has been taking a deep breath every now and then
Answered by Jav917 in 2 hours 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
He will not hold on to anything for very long he falls off if he is on a vine or plant he tried to move a little ever know and then but he does not get anywhere he might take one step then hes back laying down.
Customer
His colors are normal he still changes colors

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength brand and age?

Basking light?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps in basking area, and ambient temp?

Joan

Customer
I have a full screen cage some artificial plants hanging a real plant also in the cage i mist the cage at least twice a day i have a uvb light bulb from walmart i have crickets shipped to me and thats what i feed them i have a gut load food for the crickets i feed them i also dust them every other week with a calcium powder the temp in the cage normally stays around 80 the light fixture has the uvb and basking light both i have a bendable vine that goes several different ways at the top of the cage and goes all the way to the bottom for him to climb

Please tell me more about the bulb. I have never seen walmart carry a UVB bulb and I am afraid you may not have the proper lighting.

Joan

Customer
Aqua culture 75watt daylight bulb

That is not a UVB bulb. That is just a plain bulb tat is for a fish tank. A UVB that you need is a Reptisun 10.0 linear tube. It works with a daily calcium supplement to metabolize calcium into Vit D3 in the body. Without the UVB your Chameleon most likely has MBD and that is why the weakness in the limbs:

https://www.thespruce.com/metabolic-bone-disease-in-reptiles-1237237

THe chameleon needs this bulb and a basking light for Reptiles. You will need to set it up inside the enclosure so the Chameleon gets the maxium UVB possile, the basking light can go above to create a basking area of 90*F.

The chameleon will also need to be seen by a Herp Vet for a special calcium supplement to jusmstart recovery.

I also suggest you start calcium poweder at least 5 days a week on prey.

If you do not have a Herp Vet, I can locate some for you with a State or Country.

It is imperative to get the proper lighting and supplements as soon as possible.

Joan

Customer
I can find kne thank you
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.