My juvenile leopard gecko just shed twice in a month substrate is carpet feces is normal fed every day 3-6 crickets and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My juvenile leopard gecko just shed twice in a month substrate is carpet feces is normal fed every day 3-6 crickets and meal worms in cage at all times temp is 70-80 on basking lamp side 90 to 95 oh heat mat side is this normal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the leopard gecko can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the leopard gecko's name?
Customer: Salazar
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Salazar?
Customer: 3 hides clean water daily wash my hands before and after ever hold still very skidding I've had him for 3 weeks he shed September 9th I read that they might shed due to the season changing and the equinox was yesterday
Answered by Jav917 in 14 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles oer 40 years.

our temps on the heat mat is way too hot. THe temps in the enclosure should not be above 87 and go below 78.

THe sheeding is normal for a Juvenile. Make sure you keep a dish of calcium in the enclosure as well as dusting prey. If THis, this can mean a Parsite issue. That means a fecal needs to be done to check for parasites. I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a State or Country.

S far as the Gecko being skidish, try hand feeding. Let him get used to your hands, eventually you will be able to handle him.

Joan

Customer
He/she let's me hold him/her but he/she likes to try to run away

That is normal, a Juvenile takes time to tame down. I have raised them from eggs and they do not come out tame. I have to work with them. If you feel he/she is too thin, then a Herp Vet visit is needed. The shedding is growth. THe shed quite often when growing. I do suggest once of the hides on the warm side be made into a moist hide for shedding.

JOan

Customer
I don't think he's too skinny his tail is fatter than when I first got him and he eats regularly

If the tail is good, I suggest taking time and trying to hand feed to gain her/his confidence. Other than the minor issues I mentioned all sounds good.

Add a moist hide

Add a small dish of calcium

Adjust the temps.

If you do these things I thing you will be great.

Joan

Did you need further help? If not please take a moment to rate my service. I will be going off line for the nigh as it is almost 4:30 am.

I will check back in the morning.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.