Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Found a wild box turtle in my yard last nite. Its left leg…

Customer Question
Found a wild box...

Found a wild box turtle in my yard last nite. Its left leg is VERY swallon. Dont c any visable wound. Dont want to touch it too much cuz u can tell shes in pain.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the box turtle will be able to digest that. What is the box turtle's name and age?

500 yrs old& tripod

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the box turtle's name?

Tripod

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tripod?

I dont hav any money but hate to see the poor lil sweetie suffer

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Reptile
9/22/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 10 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for 40 years.

In a situation like tis the best thing is to get the turtle to a wildlife rescue. The can treat the turtle and then release back into a safe area. http://wildliferehabber.com/wildlife-agency-listing

In some States Box turtles are protected. I can also locate a Reptile rescue if you supply a State.

Joan

Not helpful at all.

Unless you plan on treatiing the turtle, at home means a full set up with UVB ligh Basking light and seeing a Vet for Antibiotics.. there is no at home treatments. An Xray would be needed as well as blood work. I will opt out, do not rate my service and see if someone can offer more.

Joan

Thanks thats wat ill do. Thats wat i planned on doing. I will take the best care of her with my vets help. I love turtles& im glad she found me. ☮️

You will need a rubbermade tube a UVB bulb and a Basking bulb for your set up. This will give a great place to recouperate. Turtles need UVB and calcium for the immune system to regain strength and to prevent Metabolic Bone disease. The diet of snails grubs, earth worms, superworms and some good leafy greens and hard squashes will help as the fresh part of the diet.

I am glad you are seeing a Vet who can administer the Antibiotic. I hope the turtle will thrive with you. I love all reptiles, but turtles have a unique personality and can win your heart.

Joan