Are horned Mountain lizard a lizard is looking dark I know she's flaky like she's shedding, but she's acting strange

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Are horned Mountain lizard a lizard is looking dark I know she's flaky like she's shedding, but she's acting strange real skittish and she's never been that way. I'm wondering if we should be concerned or if it's just because she's shedding and this is the first shed since we've had her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the lizard?
Customer: We cleaned her water, but I'm not sure she has sunk anything in3 or 4 days.
Answered by Jav917 in 27 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
That should have read drunk, not sunk.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech fro 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for 40+ years.

Where is the MHD housed?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength age and brand?

Basking light?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps?

Do you mist the MHD?

Passing stool?

Joan

Customer
All temps etc are good. I just got home and she seems a bit more herself. She is Down lower in the cage like she drank some water. She has a mister on a timer, circulating waterfall since they do not see still water. I think my boyfriend goofed and left her water turned off for 3 or 4 days. I'm not sure if she is still skittish tonight. I'd not want to upset her again, but should I take her outside to enjoy the 90 degree temp and the sunshine for a bit?

Thank you! MHD's I know will not drink from standing water. They do get a little touchy during shedding because of the eye caps. If she d id not have her mister or water that can certainly account for her demeanor and skidishness.

I would have some Natural sunlight and fresh air, that should really help her feel better. Two things MHD's need is their misting and fresh air circulation.

It sounds like all will be ok, but make sure she has the mister working and she should be fine. she need the moisture to aid with shedding as well as hydration

Joan

Customer
Ok. She seemed a little cold. She wouldn't let me hold her, but I have her under the uvb light now. She was not as skittish today, but there was no way she would let me take her outside. I will keep a close eye on her and take her out tomorrow if she still looks off even if I have to take her in a carrier. Ink also going to mist a little extra tonight.

Sounds like a plan. If you should need a Herp Vet, I can locate some for you with a a State.

Dehydration in MHD's s a big issue. As long as she is drinking now that should help.

Please keep me updated on her and as mentioned I can lcoate a Herp Vet if needed.

Joan

Customer
Can you provide us with local hero vets for the future? We have MANY lizards of different types and thank you for all of your assistance.

I need a State or county and I can gove you list of Reptile/Herp Vets that can treat all Reptiles

JOan

Customer
Harrison county Indiana

Herp Vet:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/indiana.html

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/indiana.shtml

Hopefully you will not need the lists. Please take a moment to rate my service before leaving today.

Joan

Customer
Hopefully, but I never want to be worried and not have a nearby vet ever again. Thank you again for the help.

You are so welcome! I always advice to have a Vet in conts if needed. Please do not to forget to rate my service. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating

Joan

Customer
How do I rate? This is my first time using the service.

There should be stars above my answer. 5 stars is the best. Just click the amount of stars to rate.

Thank you,

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Customer
She is still ashy and shedding. She keeps getting cold, so we are getting a new viv. It should be here later this week and should help with the humidity. She really was completely fine before the whole water thing. Now she is trying to play catch up and getting cold more because she keeps hanging out toward the bottom of her viv by the water dish. Otherwise she seems ok. Oh, she wouldn't eat last night, but her lips are shedding. My beardie does that too. If she doesn't eat again tonight I will start to worry. Thank you for checking up on her.

The shedding around the mouth, will keep her from eating. She may even try to strech the skin. Beardies will blow out their beards and pop their eyes to strech when shedding. Thank you for the update.

Joan

Customer
I know. I got to see Spike do that for the first time. It looked so funny. Hey, her Spike's are strangely colored now too. Is that just part of shed?

The spikes will shed and shoould be back to normal when done.

Joan

Customer
Awesome! Thanks!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.