Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

He is dragging his front leg when he walks it seems like he…

He is dragging his...

He is dragging his front leg when he walks it seems like he cant move it at times and other times he moves it a little

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

An iguana

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the iguana. What is the iguana's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is a little over a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bruce?

A couple of weeks ago his hand were shaking but it went away suddenly

9/21/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What is the ambient temp, cool spot and hot spot temps in the habitat?

2) What substrate is being used?

3) When did he last eat?

4) What bulbs are being used for the habitat?

5) How long have you had him?

6) What does his diet consist of?

7) What vitamin supplementation are you using, if any, and how often is it provided?
8) In what state do you reside?

ok thank you

2) What substrate is being used?

3) When did he last eat?

5) How long have you had him?

6) What does his diet consist of?

8) In what state do you reside?

1) as of now he lives outside so the usual temp is about 85-105 is the hottest it gets this time of year but i do have a heat lamp for when it gets cold i also bring him in side to his own room and its always warm and about 85 degrees in there
2) i dont know what a substrate is sorry
3) he last ate yesterday after noon and am going to feed him again right now i usually feed him more often but i got home late today to find he was sick
4) he has 2 bulbs one is a red heat lamp for the night and the other is i believe its called a uvb light
5)i have had him for almost 2 years he has never acted this way before
6) his diet consists of spinach, bell peppers, squash, cucumbers,and a little fruit when we have some in the house he also likes celery
7) i do not use any vitamin supplements can you recommend some?
8)i live in California

Substrate is what flooring is in his habitat.

Have his limbs shaking always been a concern or just recently?

ok i see he doesnt have a flooring at the moment just the plastic bottom of his habitat i have used the store bought dirt at petco and also used newspaper for a little while. what would you recommend
and he hasent been shaking recently but when he was a couple of weeks ago i was worried i tried to make an appointment but the reptile vet had retired and there arent any other unless i drive a long way. then he stopped shaking so i thought the problem had resolved itself

Newpaper is just fine for the flooring.

I do think your companion needs to see a vet. The shaking and loss of usage of his limb is a sign of metabolic bone disease likely from lack of supplementation of calcium and vitamin D3 in his diet. You need to find a supplement with both calcium and D3 in it (most pet stores carry it) and begin dusting all food items he's receiving, every day for the time being. You can learn more here: http://www.greenigsociety.org/mbd.htm

Here is a resource for California reptile vets:
1) http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califn.html
2) http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califs.html

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse