Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

I have raised bearded dragons for many years. I have a four

Hi Anna I have raised...
Hi Anna I have raised bearded dragons for many years. I have a four year old dragon that likes to sit in the same spot day after day and she moves only twice a day. Is that a normal behavior?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dragon's name?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** has been to the vet and is in good health I don't know if she is just lazy or what she weighs in 625 gramss
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zip?
Customer: No not really
9/20/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Have you raised Zip from a neonate?
2) Was she born in your care?
3) Has she had any diagnostic work from your vet including a fecal and bloodwork?
4) Is she housed with any other dragons?

I received Zip when she was eight months old. She was just at the vet last month and she is doing well and weighs 625 grams. She lives alone

Has she had any diagnostic work from your vet including a fecal analysis and bloodwork?

No I rather type
are you still there?

I'm here. Did you receive my question above?

I am sorry maybe you didn't receive it. I have had her since she was eight months old she lives alone and she was at the vet last month and her blood was good. no parasites. She does suffer from IBS thought since birth.

If she has a known inflammatory condition that she's had since she originally came to you, this may be why she's apt to stay in one spot and not move around a great deal. Her fecal analysis and bloodwork being normal is a strong indication that she is healthy. Am I presuming correctly that she has daily exposure to at least 12 hours of UVB rays from a UVB-rated bulb less than 6 months old and that she's provided calcium supplementation in her diet, as well, at least 5 days out of 7?

Pit She has uvb arcadia always and she also goes outdoors almost everyday in natural sunlight.She gets calcium three times a week. should she receive it with d3 or without and should I up the calcium

Perfect. As long as her food is being dusted with calcium at least 5 days out of 7, she should be receiving enough. I doubt it would hurt to add additional calcium if she's receiving less. Vitamin D3 is recommended to aid in the proper metabolization of calcium.

I will add the extra calcium with d3 She receives a vitamin supplement once a week is that enough?[

If she receives natural lighting almost every day she does not need to receive nearly as much D3 as she would if she were kept indoors regularly. So 1-2x a week should be reasonable if she's receiving time outdoors in strong lighting. If not, I would do 2-3x a week.

Thankyou kindly for all your help. Gena

You're very welcome.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse